Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre - Last weekend of winter?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Save the Date - Winter Gathering - Wetterhorn/Uncompahgr

Postby geojed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 am

I'm interested. Hopefully I can make it. OTOH the "Tenmile Traverse in Calendar Winter" might start calling my name again.... Or some other "Big Day". We'll see! :-D :wink:
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Bean » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:12 pm

AndYouSeeMe wrote:I'll start the "Corndog Fryer on a 14er!" thread now. I will help carry the stuff up there but I am not going to be the one to wait around for a few hours for the oil to cool down afterwards.

Just do it in the parking lot, claim you fried corndogs on a 14er, take video of dancing around the fryer, get on the TV news, and rant about "haters."

If you want to actually do it on the summit, I imagine the oil would cool pretty quickly at 14,000' in the winter.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ameristrat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Put it on the calender. I hope I can make it!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby d_baker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:04 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:Hey now, I thought the 2012 Gathering was on Mt. Massive? Just because it was canceled due to a -25 wind chill doesn't mean a few of us didn't still gather. [-( It's not like I'm bitter because the Holy Cross thing was never advertised or anything.

It wasn't any kind of official "gathering." It just happened mostly by chance.
Last edited by d_baker on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jmc5040 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm

I am definitely interested in taking part. Would probably come in Friday, do Wetterhorn Saturday, and then hike out Sunday am.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby globreal » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:28 am

Got it on the calendar and will most likely be there.

I love these winter gatherings!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Andymcp1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:57 am

I would love to join in on this, but am a liitle skeptical about doing Wetterhorn with winter conditions. Can anyone shed some light on how it will be in compairison to summer months. (I already know it will be cold, snowy, and more difficult to anyone who was going to swing at the obvious!)
Does it become significantly more difficult with snow cover, or does the snow cover help or even come into account in the class 3 areas?

Postby d_baker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 am

Andymcp1 wrote:I would love to join in on this, but am a liitle skeptical about doing Wetterhorn with winter conditions. Can anyone shed some light on how it will be in compairison to summer months. (I already know it will be cold, snowy, and more difficult to anyone who was going to swing at the obvious!)
Does it become significantly more difficult with snow cover, or does the snow cover help or even come into account in the class 3 areas?

I haven't done Wetterhorn in snowy conditions, winter or otherwise, but from reading reports from others that have, avy prone slopes on the "standard" summer route would need to be evaluated and possibly skirted (see photo #7 in Bill's route description for summertime route).
Once beyond those areas, the crux of the summertime route will still be the crux of the winter time route: the last pitch to the summit.
If the rock ledges are snow covered or icy, expect spicy conditions where a rope and pro would be beneficial. I recall Gladbach's winter report on Wetterhorn stating he rapped it.

I've always thought Wetterhorn in winter would be a fun and beautiful challenge. Not sure if I'll be in the state to attend this gathering, but if I am, I might want to join.
Gladbach had organized a pre-winter (Dec 18ish?) intro camping trip to the same area a couple of years ago and we had a good time in there! Uncompahgre was the only peak on the agenda that year.

Postby Kevin Baker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:17 pm

I would be highly interested in this outing conditions permitting as Wetterhorn is on my short list this winter. As Darin has stated, Wetterhorn in winter is a pretty serious climb. I also have some 13ers around Wetterhorn left to do that would go in winter.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby TomPierce » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm tentatively in.
-Tom

Postby Fisching » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:17 pm

geojed wrote:Or some other "Big Day".

DRINK!!!
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Slim Pickins » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:43 pm

This sounds like a great trip! I'm definitely in:)

PreviousNext