Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14ers.com Boulder vs. Denver Kickball Game

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

14ers.com Boulder vs. Denver Kickball Game

Postby USAKeller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 am

What's up y'all...on behalf of SurfNTurf and crossfitter:

For those who haven't seen it or are not on Facebook...we are having a Boulder vs. Denver kickball game this Saturday, Oct. 20th at Scott Carpenter Park in Boulder at 12:00pm, followed by an after-[Boulder] victory at either Avery or Southern Sun. Boulder's team is showing up in blue and Denver in red. Or I guess the guys decided on shirts vs. skins?

Anyways, here's SurfNTurf's take:
(Please enjoy the event photo, which is me about to rifle the ball at some poor girl. I think she's still in the hospital. It's hard for me to contain the strength of my right arm-cannon.)

All right, so Kris thinks it's a good idea for Boulder to challenge Denver to a game of kickball. The reasons he's an idiot are:

(1) Denver has me, a pro kickballer

(2) Everyone knows Boulderites have no ball skills. Sure, they're good at pseudo-"sports" like rock climbing, mountain biking, body hair-growing and inventing issues such as global warming-- but requiring them to utilize hand-eye coordination and work with others as a team? It's going to get ugly.

Anyway, since Boulder will likely be recovering from a 30-0 shellacking in which I personally score 28 runs, we'll head to Avery or Southern Sun for postgame beers.

My take:
We all know Boulder is known to produce top quality professional athletes. If you want to win, plan on being on my team because I'm overly competitive. That is all.
Rise and grind. Every day.

Re: 14ers.com Boulder vs. Denver Kickball Game

Postby KeithK » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 am

USAKeller wrote:I guess the guys decided on shirts vs. skins?

Actually, I think we've changed it to guys v. girls, and the guys randomly drew shirts in an impartial, completely unrigged drawing.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby nkan02 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 am

I don't know what Kickball is. :(

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 am

It's a mix of baseball and soccer, with beer, for out-of-shape adults reliving their glory days.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:24 am

Too bad Jon Embree will be in LA this weekend, he could have coached the boulder team to victorHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby Bean » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am

How long is the game expected to last? I'm going to get crushed at a different sporting that morning so it'd be a good opportunity to take some aggression out on a few Boulder weenies. :mrgreen:
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby denvermikey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am

So....if a person wants to participate, but lives in neither Boulder nor Denver, do I get to choose my side or would I just go with the closest geographic proximity?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am

denvermikey wrote:So....if a person wants to participate, but lives in neither Boulder nor Denver, do I get to choose my side or would I just go with the closest geographic proximity?

Why anyone would choose Boulder is beyond us, and if you would even consider that as an option, by all means they will take you.

So, as an official answer - I think we are working off a team-forming plan based on proximity or mental disposition.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 am

If my hiking plans don't pan out due to weather, I'll definitely be there, and I'll definitely be on the Boulder side (yes, I'm geographically closer to Denver, but I can't wait to move back to Boulder, while you probably couldn't pay me enough to live in Denver).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ameristrat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 am

This sounds like a blast. I will be hiking up lake Como road while you play but I vote for a best of 3 series. I will, of course, help SurfnTurf lead Denver to a massive victory, the likes of which have never before been witnessed. When is game 2?
Last edited by ameristrat on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby USAKeller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 am

wildlobo71 wrote:
denvermikey wrote:So....if a person wants to participate, but lives in neither Boulder nor Denver, do I get to choose my side or would I just go with the closest geographic proximity?

Why anyone would choose Boulder is beyond us, and if you would even consider that as an option, by all means they will take you.

They would want to choose Boulder because we feature me, an ex-pro soccer player with a strong leg to boot who will bring in all those grand slams! Come on, Bill you know that! :wink:
Rise and grind. Every day.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 am

Bean wrote:How long is the game expected to last? I'm going to get crushed at a different sporting that morning so it'd be a good opportunity to take some aggression out on a few Boulder weenies. :mrgreen:

I'd guess until 3 p.m.?
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Next