Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shav & Tab - Oct. 7, Sunday

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Shav & Tab - Oct. 7, Sunday

Postby Dan_Suitor » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:01 pm

awilbur77 wrote:If anyone has an update on the SAR effort please post it here. There were 11 people still on the mountain when I got back to the TH and was greeted by SAR going to find a lost pair of hikers. McCoy gulch was the assumption when they told me the lost party had descended the wrong way.

As we were heading down, just before tree line, we saw somebody way off trail, down in the valley off to our right. Not sure if that's McCoy gulch, but it was odd seeing somebody hiking down that way. Hope this helps.

Postby JacobW » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Dan_Suitor wrote:
awilbur77 wrote:If anyone has an update on the SAR effort please post it here. There were 11 people still on the mountain when I got back to the TH and was greeted by SAR going to find a lost pair of hikers. McCoy gulch was the assumption when they told me the lost party had descended the wrong way.

As we were heading down, just before tree line, we saw somebody way off trail, down in the valley off to our right. Not sure if that's McCoy gulch, but it was odd seeing somebody hiking down that way. Hope this helps.

We saw this person as well on our way down. I believe they were wearing a red or orange jacket.

Postby Mindy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:52 am

ScreamingMarmot wrote:Mindy,
I have your camera!!! I live n Denver. When/where should we meet.

Just sent you a PM. You guys rock!

Mindy

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 am

Hey,
Anyone have a pic of the group on Tab? I'd love to see it. Thanks :-D
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby Dan_Suitor » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:11 am

davebobk47 wrote:Hey,
Anyone have a pic of the group on Tab? I'd love to see it. Thanks :-D

Here you go....
WP_000567-2.jpg
WP_000567-2.jpg (274.64 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks Dan.

What a great looking group :-D

Nice meeting everyone yesterday.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby 14erAddict » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 am

This was so fun!! It was good meeting all of you!! :)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir

Postby awilbur77 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:47 am

Sorry I missed the group photo, looks like a great time. I was the slow guy ascending Tab as you guys were descending.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller

Postby sgladbach » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm

JacobW wrote:
Dan_Suitor wrote:

We saw this person as well on our way down. I believe they were wearing a red or orange jacket.

That was me "way off trail" wearing an orange jacket and orange backpack. Another climber and I followed the Angel route to her feet and down the creek to where it regains the standard route at 10,900'. We weren't lost, but we probably have to accept the "odd'' label!

The lost hikers must be somebody else.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Tigerbear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I was on that search last night and we located 4 hikers who descended into Shavano Lake drainage.
There is blow down for 2 miles into Squaw Creek that drains the lake. It's a rats nest.
So if you are not sure where you are and see a lake, go back up.. it's alot easier!
All hikers were okay when we located them.
No headlamps or fire starter would have made for a very cold night had we not been able to get to them.
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

Postby Dan_Suitor » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Tigerbear wrote:I was on that search last night and we located 4 hikers who descended into Shavano Lake drainage.
There is blow down for 2 miles into Squaw Creek that drains the lake. It's a rats nest.
So if you are not sure where you are and see a lake, go back up.. it's alot easier!
All hikers were okay when we located them.
No headlamps or fire starter would have made for a very cold night had we not been able to get to them.

Glad everybody is ok.

Previous