Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby Stephen Butler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:44 pm

I have a question from a "noob." I would love to join the winter welcome but I don't know that I have the gear. My main concern is my feet. I have plenty of gear for my legs/upper body but I only have trail runners for shoes (and wool socks). I have Yak Trax and gaiters. What do you guys wear/what do I need? I am from Arkansas so winter to us is the occasional 25 degree day. Just looking for advice if I'm able to make it.

Edit: I also have a helmet and ice axe.

Postby colokeith » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 pm

You will probably want a full hiking boot. Main requirement is water proof or highly water resistant, maybe a little insulation. There are winter specific boots that are a little warmer. IMHO a full leather upper with a good sock will keep you warm enough most days.

If you are looking to move into doing snow climbs that require crampons you will want to consider a real mountaineering boot
The La Sportiva Trango is probably the most popular mountaineering boot for colorado. If you want to do Rainer or similar.. in the future you should get something like the La Sportiva Nepal Evos. REI mountaineering boots http://www.rei.com/category/4501296

I use anything from a sumer wool sock to the REI expedition sock. Occasionally I will add toe warmers.

Gaters / yacktrax plus a good winter hiking boot will likely be all you need for the winter welcomer. Snowshoes are good to have just in case.

Ice axe is always a good thing to have, helmet would be overkill.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby colokeith » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Check the classifieds on here and do some ebay searching. You can usually find barely used mountaineering boots for less than retail price for quality hiking boots
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby bdrumm06 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:11 am

Hey I would love to do this. Never done any climbs with snow so if there is anything else I should know apart from what has been messaged let me know!

Postby mkrier » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Looking forward to getting my first winter ascent. This sounds like the time to do it. Can't wait!

Thanks in advance to whatever unfortunate soul gets the honor of explaining all the basics to me! :)

Postby smoove » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

mkrier wrote:Looking forward to getting my first winter ascent. This sounds like the time to do it.

Wellll...November may not be the best time to get a winter ascent. ;)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:43 pm

smoove wrote:
mkrier wrote:Looking forward to getting my first winter ascent. This sounds like the time to do it.

Wellll...November may not be the best time to get a winter ascent. ;)

What smoove means is "winter" around here usually means calendar winter - Solstice through Equinox.

The "Winter" Welcomer is just that - it's a celebration and a welcoming of the coming of winter, and an introduction to hiking/climbing 14ers/13ers in snow season. It's also a lot of fun and functions as one of a number of annually recurring social gatherings.

We've had as many as 80-90 folks on this in the past, so it is a good one to go on for beginners, as there's always a helping hand around.

Sounds like earlier interest this year so I need to get in gear and post up the Fifth Annual. :-D

Postby globreal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:[
What smoove means is "winter" around here usually means calendar winter - Solstice through Equinox.

This year winter starts at:

Dec 21 6:38 AM MST
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:07 pm

globreal wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:What smoove means is "winter" around here usually means calendar winter - Solstice through Equinox.
This year winter starts at:
Dec 21 6:38 AM MST

So does that mean we can expect the first big winter storm on the eve of Dec 20 this year? :-D

Previous