Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby Scotzman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:This year I'd like to call it something like the Fifth Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial 14ers Winter Welcomer.

Steve was all about winter. He's the guy whose generosity in taking us up Quandary that early November day in 2009, kicked off, at least for me, the idea of a Winter Welcomer. All about giving back and introducing others to the concept that 14ers can be done during snow season. Steve also loved our 14ers.com community. While he was a member of other related communities, I believe in my heart that we were his number one home, and the place he would always come back to.

So yes, let's celebrate Steve's life, his mentoring, his accomplishments, and his love for the 14ers.com community, with another Winter Welcomer this year.

I thought about having it on a different peak this year. But since the last four have been on Quandary, around Halloween, perhaps we should continue the tradition.

All input welcome.

BTW - last year's conditions were particularly brutal. Let's keep an eye on the weather as things get close. For the other three years, we had great weather - even with some fringe benefits two years ago. Let's hope for that. [-o< =D>

We are already planning on doing a Steve memorial hike, unless the voting dramatically changed, on the first weekend in Oct up Elbert. Are you suggesting doing this along with that one? There is certainly nothing wrong with doing more than one hike in memory of Steve, I am just assuming these are two different hikes.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby speth » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:11 am

rking007 wrote:I think keeping it to Quandary is a great idea for the sake of tradition. Looking forward to honoring Steve this year and all he did for this community.

I agree, the point behind Quandary is that it's easier to do for a first time winter hiker.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:45 pm

speth wrote:
rking007 wrote:I think keeping it to Quandary is a great idea for the sake of tradition. Looking forward to honoring Steve this year and all he did for this community.

I agree, the point behind Quandary is that it's easier to do for a first time winter hiker.

And I think Steve would appreciate if we had the dancing girls this year.

Trust me on this one.

(Volunteers, please?)

Postby Dark Helmet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 pm

speth wrote:

that's why the wife and are are interested in doing it...

and she can certainly dance.... just sayin'....

Postby Dark Helmet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:31 am

still too early to beg for someone to take a lead on this?

Postby d_baker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:51 am

Dark Helmet wrote:still too early to beg for someone to take a lead on this?

Jim (dancesatmoonrise) usually is the "lead" on getting this going, if you're talking about a 5th annual WW. I'm sure he'll start a new thread once it gets closer.

Postby Dark Helmet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:49 am

d_baker wrote:

Jim (dancesatmoonrise) usually is the "lead" on getting this going, if you're talking about a 5th annual WW. I'm sure he'll start a new thread once it gets closer.

got it... just antsy to make travel plans.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
d_baker wrote:

got it... just antsy to make travel plans.

Cool! :-D

Postby Dark Helmet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am

because bumping a thread about a group climb seems like an absolutely BRILLIANT idea considering the other "active discussions" right now...

Love ya, Jim.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Usually post a month ahead - early Oct or late Sept.

This year Halloween occurs mid-week, last week of the month. So I'm thinking Saturday Nov 2. Saturday usually seems to get the nod over Sunday. We'll do a poll for which weekend (last weekend of Oct or first weekend of Nov) and which weekend day, as soon as we get a bit closer - or any time now, I suppose.

Thanks for the interest! Hoping to have a pretty big event this year.

Till the new thread starts, please feel free to post suggestions or comments for this year's event here.

Postby Dark Helmet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm

thanks man...

that weekend is probably better for us anyway, and we'd probably take a sunday, but beggars can't be choosers, and mountains is mountains.

now to farm out all 4 kids...

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Nov. 2nd or 3rd would be great!
My son and I really enjoyed the weather last year!
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

PreviousNext