Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby SummitKathy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

Annie and I on the cold summit. It definitely felt like winter up there. Yet... we're both still smiling! (sort of)

Great day on the mountain. Thanks for organizing!
Attachments
Quandary Summit.jpg
Quandary Summit.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 653 times
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Postby mtree » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 pm

I had technical issues and couldn't make it. However, I did go up on Sunday. Probably not quite as bad, but still baaaaad. Above 12,000ft it got windy, cold, and nasty. The summit was horrible! I was solo. Saw 4 others come down. I'm surprised I didn't freeze to death. No doubt, I need some quality ideas about my layering/clothing...between the waist and neck. I was SOAKED! Bad news. If anyone has ideas, I welcome the input. I'd say it was a miserable day...except it was in the mountains and I wasn't working. Huh? Guess it wasn't that bad!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby Bean » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

mtree wrote:No doubt, I need some quality ideas about my layering/clothing...between the waist and neck. I was SOAKED! Bad news. If anyone has ideas, I welcome the input.

What were you wearing?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby dmccool » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 am

mtree wrote:No doubt, I need some quality ideas about my layering/clothing...between the waist and neck. I was SOAKED!

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22225&start=15#p264765
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby mtree » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for the link, dmccool. Very helpful.
I wore a synthetic T, longsleeve poly shirt, WOOL sweater (the downfall?), and an all weather mountain jacket which I left open until over 12,000ft. It was not a good system with brutal winds.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am

mtree wrote:Thanks for the link, dmccool. Very helpful.
I wore a synthetic T, longsleeve poly shirt, WOOL sweater (the downfall?), and an all weather mountain jacket which I left open until over 12,000ft. It was not a good system with brutal winds.

Based on this limited information, I'd suggest a thin fleece pullover to replace the wool sweater and a more breathable outer shell. "All-weather mountain jacket" sounds like a ski jacket to me, which if it's heavy would suck to hike in, but that's an assumption. Look into a nice quality softshell. Also, there's nothing wrong with hiking a little slower in winter to reduce sweating.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby jblyth » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
mtree wrote:Thanks for the link, dmccool. Very helpful.

Based on this limited information, I'd suggest a thin fleece pullover to replace the wool sweater and a more breathable outer shell. "All-weather mountain jacket" sounds like a ski jacket to me, which if it's heavy would suck to hike in, but that's an assumption. Look into a nice quality softshell. Also, there's nothing wrong with hiking a little slower in winter to reduce sweating.

Completely agree - I used my snowboard jacket when I first started climbing in the winter, but ended up getting a nice softshell, and it made a huge difference for breathability, flexibility, and comfort. Sweating in the winter is something I had problems with too. I can be blazing hot one minute and freezing the next if I don't make myself go slower or take breaks.

Postby mtree » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am

Hmmm. Not sure how I'd classify my all-weather mountain jacket. It was a gift so I don't have info. It's not real heavy, but it's not real light. It cuts the wind nicely and I'm pretty sure its waterproof. It is not super flexible. And if I don't wear something to fight the winds, what is the alternative?

Yes. Maybe I should have slowed down. I was probably climbing from 12,000 - 13,000ft a bit faster than I should have causing me to overheat. That was an above-the-neck error.

Also, what's a good qualify soft-shell?
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby jblyth » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 am

mtree wrote:Hmmm. Not sure how I'd classify my all-weather mountain jacket. It was a gift so I don't have info. It's not real heavy, but it's not real light. It cuts the wind nicely and I'm pretty sure its waterproof. It is not super flexible. And if I don't wear something to fight the winds, what is the alternative?

Yes. Maybe I should have slowed down. I was probably climbing from 12,000 - 13,000ft a bit faster than I should have causing me to overheat. That was an above-the-neck error.

I use the FA Mountain Guide Jacket, but I think it's discontinued now. I'm guessing this is the equivalent they make now:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... hInfo=null

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm

mtree wrote:Hmmm. Not sure how I'd classify my all-weather mountain jacket. It was a gift so I don't have info. It's not real heavy, but it's not real light. It cuts the wind nicely and I'm pretty sure its waterproof. It is not super flexible. And if I don't wear something to fight the winds, what is the alternative?

What brand is your current jacket? Hard or soft shell?

A good softshell will block the wind, or there are super lightweight windshell alternatives as well. I have both the OR Alibi and the Mountain Hardwear Mecurial. I don't have anything negative to say about either. There are a ton of softshells out there; it seems every brand has multiple offerings depending on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend. I'd suggest researching online and touring your local stores to try some on.

Bean might point out that many softshells on the market aren't really softshells in the traditional sense (neither of mine are), but it's kind of a technicality unless you're an advanced gear nut.

The best softshells are highly breahthable, though pitzips aren't a bad idea if you're willing to sacrifice a little weight. Definitely get a hood if it's your outer layer.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby mtree » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:52 pm

I have no idea if my jacket is a hard shell or soft shell. What's the difference? It's nothing like a lobster's shell.
Not sure of brand. North Face or Columbia as I recall. (I'll check when I get home.) It has a hood, dual front zippers for inner liner and outer shells. It also has pitzips. It must breathe because I sure could feel the wind sucking out the moisture!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm

mtree wrote:I have no idea if my jacket is a hard shell or soft shell. What's the difference?

Just post that your (brand/model) jacket is a softshell. If Bean does not contradict you within 5 minutes, you are good to go. :lol:

PreviousNext