Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby bunny256 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:33 pm

This will be my first winter climb, and the cold/wind sound a little sketchy... but I have perhaps deluded myself into going as a first experience. I'm bringing a car full of crazies, lots of layers, and we'll see what happens! 8-[

Postby marciamallow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Gonna pass on the windy weather, headed to Bear Peak for a much warmer day climb .. Have fun y'all

Postby fairy_dust_61788 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 pm

I will be there! So there better be people there at the trailhead. Plan to be there around 7:30-8. Excited for this crazy adventure that's about to go down. :)

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:35 pm

marie123 wrote:sans stickers

Lame
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby B-Dog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm still tentative. Off to a soccer game in a few minutes then to make a quick cameo at a halloween party. We'll see how all that pans out in the morning when my alarm goes off. IF I make it, I'll be in the same area as SurfNturf. If not, then you all have fun and be safe. :)

Postby mtgirl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm out. I planned to take a total newbie with me.......doesn't sound like a good beginner experience for him. Will let him enjoy the snow and cold some other time, without the crappy predicted winds. Be safe all and enjoy !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby mtree » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

I'll be coming over Hoosier Pass. Be there around 8am. Can't miss my vehicle. Whoever picks it out gets a free beer!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby fairy_dust_61788 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 pm

mtree wrote:I'll be coming over Hoosier Pass. Be there around 8am. Can't miss my vehicle. Whoever picks it out gets a free beer!

with these temperatures it seems like a hot totty or schnapps and cocoa would be more appropriate than a beer ;)

Postby USAKeller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:25 pm

This looks like it's gonna be a great time - have fun y'all!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Ress_PA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 pm

I would have loved to meet some new people out there tomorrow, especially to pick the brains of some more experienced in winter hiking and climbing. I have some stuff going on Saturday and had today (Friday) off so I headed up the east slope. I know it's a weekday but there was only one other on the trail, at least until the end of the hike, then I crossed paths with two people heading up to camp out for the night. I was a great hike, my first in winter, probably around 4 to 6 inches of snow through parts of the woods and on the ridges, however on the wider slopes there were spots of probably 10 to 18. I definitely sunk in past my knee a few times, so don't forget the gaiters, or at least something, I didn't have anything and that was an obvious mistake. Pretty windy up top towards the afternoon. I hope y'all have a safe and fun get-together.

Postby SpringsHiker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 pm

We did a peak with 50 mph winds before, but not knowing ahead of time, and it was not pretty. It is very hard to go ahead knowing in advance that the wind is that strong, so sorry but we decided another time will be more enjoyable. Possible to survive? Yes. Fun? Probably not.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby sjpwarsaw » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:34 am

A change in plans - I won't make it today but have the 5th annual winter welcome in my schedule for next year. Have as much fun as possible.
Steve

PreviousNext