Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby marie123 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 am

Yeah Kathy and I were planning on meeting at the lot at 5:30, but if you guys are doing 6, that works.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 am

I'll be at the upper parking area near the TH at 8:00 am. Rust-colored Osprey Talon 22 pack. Kakhi pants, black gaitors, red/black mountaineering boots. Probably an orange/copper hooded shell, or possibly a grey hoody if it's not too windy down below. If it's looking real windy, I may be wearing a bright red hooded shell. If it's not too chilly, find the guy in the A's hat; dark green ball cap with bright orange bill.

Brandon (JBChalk) has expressed an interest in taking a small group for mentoring. We plan to meet at the upper parking or TH at 8. Each of us will take a group, so feel free to find us and tag along.

I hardly ever put goggles on even in high winds, but they're sure worth having, so don't forget them. Balaclava, too. And poles don't need to be hiking poles; if you only have ski poles, you may want to bring them. A hooded shell will be pretty much essential if we get into high winds and colder temps.

BTW - Scott may well be correct that 29 for a forecast is too warm. It was 6 yesterday by Jay's thermometer. I'd guess we'll at least be in the teens on the summit; that's a typical winter 14er summit temperature.

See you all there.
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I'll be there in the morning. Getting over the remnants of a cold, so camping out doesn't sound like the best idea anymore.

Someone suggested meeting at 6:15 a.m. at the Dino Lots. Should we arrange some sort of mass carpool? Perhaps 6 is more realistic.

I've got room for 3...
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Jay521 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:I hardly ever put goggles on even in high winds, but they're sure worth having, so don't forget them. Balaclava, too. And poles don't need to be hiking poles; if you only have ski poles, you may want to bring them. A hooded shell will be pretty much essential if we get into high winds and colder temps.

BTW - Scott may well be correct that 29 for a forecast is too warm. It was 6 yesterday by Jay's thermometer. I'd guess we'll at least be in the teens on the summit; that's a typical winter 14er summit temperature.

See you all there.

I would also add that spikes of some sort will be very helpful. Yesterday, my spikes meant that I only slipped several times instead of most the time... :)
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby colokeith » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 am

I am planing on leaving from th @ 8am

Postby marie123 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 am

Assuming I can get my oil changed this afternoon, I have room for 2 more, and I listen to awesome music.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am

It sounds like an enthusiastic bunch will be heading up tomorrow to brave the elements. Stay safe.

The poll is running about 50 – 50 which means there are also plenty who want to hike tomorrow but not in those conditions. MountainHikerette & I are leaning toward S Boulder & Bear or maybe Green from NCAR. I don’t want to hijack this thread or pull people away from the WW so if there’s interest I can start another thread.

We’ll also watch the weather for next Saturday on Quandary.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby lindazco » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:57 am

MountainHiker wrote:It sounds like an enthusiastic bunch will be heading up tomorrow to brave the elements. Stay safe.

The poll is running about 50 – 50 which means there are also plenty who want to hike tomorrow but not in those conditions. MountainHikerette & I are leaning toward S Boulder & Bear or maybe Green from NCAR. I don’t want to hijack this thread or pull people away from the WW so if there’s interest I can start another thread.

We’ll also watch the weather for next Saturday on Quandary.

Please keep folks posted if you are going up next weekend. I may change my mind and go tomorrow if the weather improves (wind forecasts are down a teeny bit today). I'll be up in the mountains already tonight. I'll be at the TH at 8 if I'm going. All the rest of you - have fun, stay safe and warm! Hope to meet some of you soon.

Postby Kitten » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:50 am

We are all packed and ready to go, we'll be leaving in a couple of hours. We want to test some winter gear so these are perfect conditions for camping out.

Got the avatars printed on a cardboard, don't forget that!

see you all there tomorrow morning!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby mtree » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm still planning on being at the trailhead around 8am! (Can't go next weekend.) I figure if winds are that bad I can always turn back.

I'm going to contact my weather guru for the latest forecast.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby flutter_girl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:11 pm

lindzco- you better get your butt up on that windy hill with me tomorrow...or else! Or else, there won't be frozen pie for you! [-X

Postby lindazco » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 pm

flutter_girl wrote:lindzco- you better get your butt up on that windy hill with me tomorrow...or else! Or else, there won't be frozen pie for you! [-X

Well if there's pie at stake, I may just have to brave the elements. We'll see!

PreviousNext