Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any 14er in the San Juans for a CO newbie?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Any 14er in the San Juans for a CO newbie?

Postby kuhnmark » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

I just moved to Page, AZ from New Hampshire. I haven't climbed any Colorado 14ers, but I have climbed Mt. Rainier in Washington and many mountains back east. To kickoff my training for a Denali climb next May, I'm heading up to CO this weekend and would like to hike one or two 14ers in the San Juans this Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone interested in joining? Or have a suggestion for my first CO 14er?

Re: Any 14er in the San Juans for a CO newbie?

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 pm

With your experience and ambition...Wetterhorn.

If you want to try the easiest there are in the range, go for Handies or Redcloud/Sunshine.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Any 14er in the San Juans for a CO newbie?

Postby kuhnmark » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks! If I can get a partner, I'd love to do Wetterhorn. Handies looks like a good one if I'm going solo.