Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering - Snowmass

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering - Snowmass

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 am

dpage wrote:You can subtract me and my wife. We are flying to VA for my grandmother's funeral. Be safe and have fun.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope everything goes well for your family in VA.

Postby FCSquid » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 am

Waggs wrote:Here's the tally from the responses:

Saturday

Waggs
dpage +1
Lemmiwinks
CCU_Jim
Justin9
Scottfarish +1
Trailsntales

Farcedude +2 (Own group)

Sunday
Tony1

Waggs, count me in for the S-Ridge on Saturday as well. I'm planning on driving my 4-Runner up Lost Creek Road on Friday afternoon. I'd like be be at Geneva Lake by 6pm or so on Friday night - so leaving early in case I end up having to hike part of the access road.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby trailsntales » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Count me in for sat: I will be in on the S ridge on saturday. will arrive friday late afternoon.

Postby trailsntales » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Snowmass Saturday Hike S Ridge Group:
I'm not familiar with this trailhead area where the Fall Gathering is at and with all of the threads
out there, I'm not sure of the directions and where to camp. I'm arriving Friday afternoon.
What trailhead & road are we coming in on and camping/meeting? Can we camp at TH or are we backpacking in?
I have 4WD X terra and coming from Colo Springs. Any directions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Kay

Postby Beagle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Here's the main thread with map to the campsite http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36661
This is my religion. This is my church. These are my cathedrals.

"Summiting is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson

Postby Scott P » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

I've been quietly wathing this thread wondering if I should go or not and if it will be too crowded.

I have to make a decision between two trips. Aaargh.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby FCSquid » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 am

I may try to get down there in front of the group meeting in Marble at 5:00 tomorrow. I'd like to get to the trailhead by 4:30 - 5:00 and pack in to Geneva Lake before sundown.

With the large numbers anticipated on S-Ridge on Saturday, it may be beneficial to be one of the first on the ridge.
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby FCSquid » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am

trailsntales wrote:Snowmass Saturday Hike S Ridge Group:
I'm not familiar with this trailhead area where the Fall Gathering is at and with all of the threads
out there, I'm not sure of the directions and where to camp. I'm arriving Friday afternoon.
What trailhead & road are we coming in on and camping/meeting? Can we camp at TH or are we backpacking in?
I have 4WD X terra and coming from Colo Springs. Any directions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Kay

I think there's plenty of space to camp at the trailhead (or the parking lot just downhill of it). However, I'm planning on packing in to Geneva Lake tomorrow for an early start on the ridge on Sat.
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby MountainMedic » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 pm

I hate to be that guy and really never am, but please, everyone, be careful. The Elks have seen their share of accidents this season and Snowmass is no exception. Many a very capable climber have died on these mountains in the past weeks alone. I'm all about fun and gladly accept the inherent risk involved in climbing these peaks. But with numbers like these, I hope you're all climbing with close friends and people you trust.

Sorry to be a downer...have fun, and I wish I could be there to meet some folks!

Postby I Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm

MountainMedic wrote:I hate to be that guy and really never am, but please, everyone, be careful. The Elks have seen their share of accidents this season and Snowmass is no exception. Many a very capable climber have died on these mountains in the past weeks alone. I'm all about fun and gladly accept the inherent risk involved in climbing these peaks. But with numbers like these, I hope you're all climbing with close friends and people you trust.

Sorry to be a downer...have fun, and I wish I could be there to meet some folks!

I think a lot of us are thinking this, Tyler...don't feel bad for saying it.

Some friends of mine have mentioned their intentions to go and I've shared my piece. I have a wedding this weekend, but if I were available you wouldn't find me ANYWHERE near this.

Siberia Pk does look mighty attractive though \:D/
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm no longer considering touching this peak any time soon. On that note, I think it would be of value to start a thread about which seasons are best for which 14ers and why, and which 14ers should be avoided when there is or isn't snow on them.

To everyone that goes, have fun and please be safe! Happy First Day of Fall (on Saturday)!
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby FCSquid » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm

SilverLynx wrote:I'm no longer considering touching this peak any time soon. On that note, I think it would be of value to start a thread about which seasons are best for which 14ers and why, and which 14ers should be avoided when there is or isn't snow on them.

To everyone that goes, have fun and please be safe! Happy First Day of Fall (on Saturday)!

I don't think this is really about conditions - they look to be ideal right now, but just a high number of people on a notoriously loose mountain. Most who've expressed interest don't seem the type to not know quite what they're getting in to. Personally, the numbers for S-Ridge don't really worry me since I don't think there are too many places where you're veritically below other climbers (as compared to say, the gullies in North Maroon or the Hourglass ...). So I think risk can be mitigated if due caution is taken.

The gullies on the west face, though do concern me. Enough so, that I may elect to go up and down the S-Ridge rather than have to spend a lot of time directly below other climbers.
-Benjamin Franklin

PreviousNext