Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canyoneering Fest Oct 19-21.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Canyoneering

Postby mtndude3737 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Scott P wrote:

The closest ones to Denver are the "Yellow Cat" canyons.

Dinosaur is closer. We'll have to all do some of those ones sometime too.

Hmmmm. Denver to Dinosaur National Monument = 295 miles; Denver to Yellow Cat Exit on I-70 = 323 miles. However, you stay on I-70 the whole way to Yellow Cat vs. CO-13 and CO-64 to Dinosaur..... probably about the same driving time. But, errr, ummm, whatever....

Thanks for reminding me though, I have been wanting to check out the Dinosaur Slots
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby Scott P » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Denver to Dinosaur National Monument = 295 miles; Denver to Yellow Cat Exit on I-70 = 323 miles.

Many of the Dinosaur area slots are actually near Elk Springs (the ones currently my the list), which is only 248 miles. As you mention though, slower roads.

Thanks for reminding me though, I have been wanting to check out the Dinosaur Slots

Yes, anytime you want to go, I'm game. :-D The season will end sooner. Once I went there in late October and it was 1F. Once in November, the canyons were full of ice!
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby mtndude3737 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Ugh @ ice. Sounds cool though. Before we did Buckskin Gulch a few years ago we read a TR of 2 guys from Utah that went through it in January, and when they met the Paria River, it was choked full of ice blocks. They had to crash through 7 miles of icy water and ended up with frostbite, etc. Burly.

Sounds cool, if we head up that way, I will let you know. We have our sights set on Heaps down in Zion this October. With all of this rain I am hoping the canyons will be tippy top full and minimize the pot hole escapes.

So what is the best month to do the Dinosaur slots?

Postby Scott P » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

So what is the best month to do the Dinosaur slots?

For the stuff around Elk Springs, September/October. May and early June is good too, but there are ticks around in the brushy areas.

For stuff along the Yampa River, August/September is best since you sometimes have to wade/swim the river.

Ugh @ ice. Sounds cool though.

Yes. I took these in the San Rafael Swell. Usually the canyon is dry in winter, but if it's wet, the water can be a little chilly.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:14 pm

^ wow that water will wake you up in the morning :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby mtndude3737 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:32 am

What? You couldn't stem that? :shock:

I haven't decided to add ice into my canyoneering adventures yet. Sometimes it is decided for you....

What canyon is that?

Postby Scott P » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:32 pm

What canyon is that?

Old Woman Wash in the Swell. A fairly average canyon, but usually dry in winter. Not that time.

====================================================================

Anyway, it's time to decide the destination. Anyone who is interested can cast their vote and it will be determined in a few days.

There are plenty of canyon choices of all abilities, but it would be best to have at least rudimentary technical skills. I can lead one or two people whom might be inexperienced, but it wouldn't be safe to take a whole group without some experienced members.

Anyway, I'm hoping to do at least one "easy"canyon and maybe one more challenging one. I have my eye on a new one in the Roost, but we'd need a real rope gun along, just in case.

It should be a great trip. It would be great if 14ers.com members would come along.

Postby mtndude3737 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm

I am getting interested, and we are decent in canyons and with ropes. I can climb 5.10 and my son can climb 5.12. Let us know how many are going and we might be interested. We have pretty much all the gear, ascenders, trad gear, etriers, etc. I would love to explore a new canyon.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

I would prefer the Roost, I think. I have my own equipment and a moderate amount of experience (pretty comfortable with raps on anchored drops, have used retrevables a few times, have never built a dead-man or used a sand-trap, though).
I am not a "rope gun" by any stretch, can maybe climb 5.8 with the right footwear and no heavy pack.

Scott: would this be a good time to advise folks that dynamic ropes used in climbing are not a good idea for canyoneering ?

Postby mtndude3737 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:37 am

mountaingoat-G wrote:Scott: would this be a good time to advise folks that dynamic ropes used in climbing are not a good idea for canyoneering ?

WHAT?!?! Dynamic ropes do such a fine job sawing the edges of canyons, I thought people were trying to carve their way to the bottom?

Make sure to bring your bolt kit, some chrome plated shiny hangers, and 80 feet of bright green tubular webbing to leave around every boulder too.

October 19-20 is looking good for me.

Postby Scott P » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Robbers Roost it is. We'll probably all camp at Granary Spring/"Motel 6" (which isn't a hotel) since it's easy to find. I'll post directions later.

I wouldn't mind trying the new canyon on Saturday and something else the next day. Maybe East Fork Bluejohn, High Spur, White Roost, or any not too long canyon. Lots of possibilities.

Postby I Man » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:20 pm

DEL
Last edited by I Man on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

PreviousNext