Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering

Postby Fisching » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 am

geojed wrote:I'm thinking of climbing some peaks (14'ers and Centennials) and doing some traverses on Friday and Sunday around the Fall Gathering, which is on Saturday. Ideas I have in mind are Thunder Pyramid - Pyramid Peak Traverse, Castle/Conundrum - Cathedral, Maroon - North Maroon.

If interested send me a PM. These traverses are very dependent on a good weather forecast and may need to be pared to one peak if thunderstorms are likely.

Why not just do them all as one big traverse and call it a "BIG DAY?"
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby geojed » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 am

gregory_fischer wrote:
geojed wrote:I'm thinking of climbing some peaks (14'ers and Centennials) and doing some traverses on Friday and Sunday around the Fall Gathering, which is on Saturday. Ideas I have in mind are Thunder Pyramid - Pyramid Peak Traverse, Castle/Conundrum - Cathedral, Maroon - North Maroon.

If interested send me a PM. These traverses are very dependent on a good weather forecast and may need to be pared to one peak if thunderstorms are likely.

Why not just do them all as one big traverse and call it a "BIG DAY?"

:lol: :lol: Now that you mention it! :-k :-k
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby giarcd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:48 pm

All are welcome(with Shine or not ) , the more the merry'er ----lots of peaks to chose from and great time with fellow s from the site---PARTY/CLIMB and enjoy.!!

Postby JerryB » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Bump

Postby KeithK » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 am

For those of you joining me on Mt. Sopris, here is all the trailhead and route beta you should need: http://www.hikingincolorado.org/sopr.html

As always, 2 way radios will be set to 14.14, so if you have them, please bring them and coordinate within your party. Especially for those headed into Lead King, radios would be a good tool to have.

13 days...
Snow is dumb.™

Postby mtgirl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Darn it, Keith. I've always wanted to hike Sopris in the fall and would love to join you. Unfortunately, I've had a mountain biking hut trip planned for that same weekend for months now. :( Hope you have a great time and great weather !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby cheeseburglar » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 pm

KeithK wrote:For those of you joining me on Mt. Sopris, here is all the trailhead and route beta you should need: http://www.hikingincolorado.org/sopr.html

Keith,
Don't follow those directions to the letter. You won't park at Dinkle Lake, you'll park at a huge and obvious parking area (there is a toilet) on the road just before it heads downhill to go to Dinkle Lake. Dinkle Lake is about a 1/4 mile farther, but isn't worth a visit, IMHO. It's a reservoir and wasn't full last time I visited.
Once on the trail, it is no problem. And I think it is about 4 miles to Thomas Lakes, but the round trip distance of ~12+ miles is about right. It is all uphill from Thomas Lakes, but a great climb. Mostly on trail, but there is some talus hopping to do and a bunch of marmots live up there.
Craig
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby KeithK » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 am

mtgirl wrote:Darn it, Keith. I've always wanted to hike Sopris in the fall and would love to join you. Unfortunately, I've had a mountain biking hut trip planned for that same weekend for months now. :( Hope you have a great time and great weather !

Unacceptable.

Craig, thanks for the tip. Are there any marmots in particular that we should look up while we're up there? I could offer them an old backpack in exchange for safe passage.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes, watch out for a grey marmot with a mean streak. Crazy guy was napping on a boulder in the sun at about 12,500 feet when my dog caught him. Woke up, bit my dog, and then jumped under a rock. That was about 5 years ago with my blue healer. I bet that marmot has gotten more cranky with age.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby gokarengo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm thinking of going. I'll be leaving from Breck on Friday then heading back to Denver on Sunday. If anyone wants a ride, I guess from Summit County or to meet in that area, let me know. I have a 2WD with room for 3 more and would enjoy the company.

Postby SpringsHiker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 am

Monster5 wrote:I'll be there Sunday. Hagerman's SW Ridge as per Matt's suggestion + other 13ers sounds enticing. Anything obscure, rarely-traveled, and challenging would also be nice.

I have Hagerman via SW ridge as my first choice and flexible on it being Saturday or Sunday. I could probably pick up another "obscure" peak (already have done Snowmass) on the alternate day. If anyone really is serious about the traverse between Hagerman and Snowmass I would be interested. My thought is to summit Hagerman first, try the traverse, and if it's wicked then bail wherever appropriate.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby geojed » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am

Here's the forecast for Marble, CO from Weather.com. It's looking mighty fine! :-D
Attachments
Marble CO forecast.jpg
Weather.com Forecast for Marble, CO
Marble CO forecast.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 480 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

PreviousNext