Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 am

Had a great time at the Spring Gathering. Count me in for the Fall Gathering. Looks like a good spot.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 am

One week after my planned finisher, eh? Keith, you shouldn't have!

I guess that means I'll be doing a 13er.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 am

One week before my planned finisher... maybe I'll bring two coolers, one for my beer and one for the ice water to soak my feet in preparation for the September 30th.
Actually, Sopris sounds great!
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby RJansen77 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 am

wildlobo71 wrote:Actually, Sopris sounds great!

Agreed, I think that may be my tentative target. Looks like it could be a fun three weeks!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby KeithK » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 am

Matt wrote:Great idea and location! Beautiful area, lots of peaks, great place to camp. This looks like a winner.

KeithK wrote:Remember, this event is informal and unofficial
:lol:

Ha, maybe the disclaimer should have been separated out a bit... just don't want Mr. Middlebrook perceived to be liable for anything if we can help it.

d_baker wrote:This is BIG news. The Return of KeithK.
And he's going to, what? He's going to hike a <gasp> 12er?! Oh my.
The world is coming to an end. The sky is falling. Look out, it's a sign of the looming apocalypse.

I thought there was a gathering in the Elks before? Or was that the W Elks?

[just imagine all those words above are in pink, 'kay?]

The West Elks, which is still my favorite. That was a really underattended event, and a lot of folks missed out. This one puts us more in what I would consider the "real" Elks.

SurfNTurf wrote:One week after my planned finisher, eh? Keith, you shouldn't have!

Sorry man! Picking this date took quite a bit of deliberation, but when it comes down to it, there just isn't much of a window to do this with regard to colors, cooling temperatures and general availability. And just think, Jeff, you'll be finished, and still hungover from Telluride, so you don't need to climb anything!
Snow is dumb.™

Postby d_baker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 am

I Man wrote:Well now I am interested :)

EDIT: Ugh...I have a wedding that weekend apparently :?

Well congratulations to you and the Lynx.....crazy kids!! ;)

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 am

KeithK wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:One week after my planned finisher, eh? Keith, you shouldn't have!

Sorry man! Picking this date took quite a bit of deliberation, but when it comes down to it, there just isn't much of a window to do this with regard to colors, cooling temperatures and general availability. And just think, Jeff, you'll be finished, and still hungover from Telluride, so you don't need to climb anything!

I didn't mean it as a negative thing! Having everyone assembled Sept. 22 will allow those who can't make it to Telluride an opportunity to pay tribute and present their offerings.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby d_baker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 am

^ It's getting deep.

Postby I Man » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
KeithK wrote:

I didn't mean it as a negative thing! Having everyone assembled Sept. 22 will allow those who can't make it to Telluride an opportunity to pay tribute and present their offerings.

Make sure you stomp on the summit marker on Sneffels so it knows you're the boss :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby metalmountain » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 am

Ohhhh this looks awesome...
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby JenGa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:06 am

Hooray! I've been trying to get to the Elks this summer.

Postby nkan02 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 am

Great location. Was just looking at Hagerman the other day... S-ridge is also a high value target...
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

PreviousNext