Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering

Postby KeithK » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:
KeithK wrote:For those of you joining me on Mt. Sopris, here is all the trailhead and route beta you should need: http://www.hikingincolorado.org/sopr.html

Keith,
Don't follow those directions to the letter. You won't park at Dinkle Lake, you'll park at a huge and obvious parking area (there is a toilet) on the road just before it heads downhill to go to Dinkle Lake. Dinkle Lake is about a 1/4 mile farther, but isn't worth a visit, IMHO. It's a reservoir and wasn't full last time I visited.
Once on the trail, it is no problem. And I think it is about 4 miles to Thomas Lakes, but the round trip distance of ~12+ miles is about right. It is all uphill from Thomas Lakes, but a great climb. Mostly on trail, but there is some talus hopping to do and a bunch of marmots live up there.
Craig

Bump and also good information for any who are intending to wander up Mt. Sopris. All other pertinent information is on the first post...
Snow is dumb.™

Postby SpringsHiker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Is anyone attending the gathering from Colorado Springs and want to travel together? I have a large 4WD Sequoia so I don't need a ride and would enjoy company for the trip. I posted earlier that I my first priority is Hagerman and I will easily be able to travel the road as far as possible. I plan to leave Friday and am flexible on the time, although I want to arrive while there is enough daylight to set up camp.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby dave alex » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:53 am

I plan to attend Friday night and join the Hagerman group Saturday morning.

Postby ketel1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:27 pm

I will be hanging with KeithK on this one, assuming you are doing it Saturday, MrK? . If anyone wants to hike with Keith and with this slow chick getting over a bad cold, you are welcome :)
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby FCSquid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Thinking of heading down Saturday afternoon for a climb of the S-Ridge on Sunday. Anybody else up for this route on Sunday?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby HikerGuy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm

FCSquid wrote:Thinking of heading down Saturday afternoon for a climb of the S-Ridge on Sunday. Anybody else up for this route on Sunday?

I might, possibly be game for the S-Ridge on Sunday.

EDIT: Will not be able to make it.
Last edited by HikerGuy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 pm

90% Certain I am coming. Sopris is the "plan" for Saturday, but, I will admit, that if drinks go down easy on Friday night, the odds of a Sopris excursion go down. May be spending Saturday night near my Jeep radio listening to ND vs. Michigan, but I will be there! Who's bringing the Tequila this year? Name your label, and I can bring it up from Santa Fe if you want... Also, Crossfitter coming? Any kegs on top of mountains, or did I miss that last weekend on Sneffels?

Postby laxcountrypiper » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm really new to this site, but I think I'm going to try to join the gathering and brings a few friends with me. Please be kind hahaha

Postby FCSquid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 pm

FCSquid wrote:Thinking of heading down Saturday afternoon for a climb of the S-Ridge on Sunday. Anybody else up for this route on Sunday?

Looks like my plans just changed again. I'll be heading down on Friday and looking to climb S-ridge on Saturday. Is there interest in that route on Saturday?

Postby nkan02 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 am

But we all are going to be at campsite in Marble first? Any 2WD can make it there, correct? Is it relatively easy to find? So then, based on # of people, people can decide who is hiking what and how to get there from the campsite. My primary interest is Hagerman (no traverse though) .

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I was originally planning on the S-Ridge Saturday, but with the high number of people doing that route, I'm considering switching to Treasure/Treasury. Anyone else considering that combo? I haven't seen a lot of discussion on those two peaks.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:I was originally planning on the S-Ridge Saturday, but with the high number of people doing that route, I'm considering switching to Treasure/Treasury. Anyone else considering that combo? I haven't seen a lot of discussion on those two peaks.

The Treasure/Treasury combo is my main interest. Looking at about 14 miles and 6.6K from Yule Creek/Marble. Need to check some more maps to see where road ends and trail begins. Should be a stout day! Just like the Horn loop :lol:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

PreviousNext