Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lesson on Noobs

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Lesson on Noobs

Postby RJansen77 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 am

rking007 wrote:Would someone mind putting a link up for the 'other thread'? I'd like to read it.

It's the Sangre 13er 5-Peak thread

viewtopic.php?t=33983&p=406798#p406798
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 am

RJansen77 wrote:
rking007 wrote:Would someone mind putting a link up for the 'other thread'? I'd like to read it.

It's the Sangre 13er 5-Peak thread

viewtopic.php?t=33983&p=406798#p406798

Sure seems to have some similarities to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33502
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby geojed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

This is the only post I shall make on this.

I've resisted responding in order to prevent another epic Jed-bashing, but I feel I should lay out some pertinent info.

Sarah contacted me through the 14ers Facebook page since I posted on there regarding this hike. She said this would be her first Winter climb. I was really concerned that she wouldn't know what to bring for a Winter climb, so over several days leading up to the climb we PM'd and texted back and forth about what gear she should bring. I informed her that the forecast was for -1F w/ 20-30mph winds with LOTS of fresh snow (the forecast said 10-20" was supposed to have fallen, in actuality it was about 1-2"). She said she had a warm ski jacket and ski pants and hat, so I tried to think of gear that she would need that she might not think of since this was her first Winter climb.

I told her to bring:

Snowshoes,
waterproof/warm gloves,
waterproof/warm boots,
goggles,
gaiters,
and to wear two pairs of warm wool socks.

She didn't have ski goggles so I borrowed some from my next door neighbor.

She didn't have snowshoes, so I recommended that she rent some from REI, but then Aaronmojica had said he had an extra pair, so I PM'd him about her borrowing his extra pair of snowshoes and poles.

Unfortunately, she mistakenly thought the "gaiters" on her ski pants would be sufficient for this climb, and that her layered gloves would be sufficient. It turned out that neither pair of gloves she had were waterproof.

Also when I texted her about warm/waterproof boots she said that Keen had just sent her a pair and that they should work. Well, Keen does make winter snow boots, but the "boots" she had were actually just normal low-top, non-waterproof, meshy trailrunners, which I didn't realize that's what she actually had on until at the end of the day when she got back to the cars and I was helping break off the ice balls that had formed on her sock cuffs.

I also guessed correctly that she'd be bringing a Camelback, so I reminded her that she needs to remember to blow out the tube after every drink or the tube will freeze. I even demonstrated at the TH how I push the tube all the way back into the bladder sleeve in my backpack to keep the tube from freezing.

Maybe I should've gone through a more thorough gear check with her at the TH, but I thought I had communicated/recommended all of the gear that she would need for a Winter climb.

On the ascent, Brian texted me saying that he and Sarah were sticking together on the climb up so I knew she wasn’t left alone. Kudos to Brian!!! =D> =D> =D>

While we were descending I gave her some hand warmers and an extra pair of wool gloves I had. They probably didn’t do much as her other gloves were wet from snow.

Missing the bootpack trail on the way down and ending up in the bottom of the gully was really unfortunate. They weren’t the only ones to miss it as Matt Lemke did the same thing and ended up post-holing down Gibson Creek until reaching our snowshoe track from on the way up. I tried texting and calling Brian several times to get status updates while they were coming down, and was worried sick until I finally heard from Brian after they reached the snowshoe trench.

I really feel bad for how things turned out for you Sarah, your perseverance and will to finish is something I am in awe off. I’m not sure I would have done so well in similar circumstances. I hope you recover quickly and look forward to hiking/climbing with you again in the future.

Cheers,

Jed

:-# :-# :-#
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Upstate Hiker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks, Jed. It reflects pretty poorly on Sarah that she chose to ignore your recommendations.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I fall a lot wrote:She's tough, but not that cute.

How do you know?
Last edited by MtHurd on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Lets keep it PG-13 now
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Upstate Hiker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Alright, boys. Let's play nice. Just as a woman shouldn't expect to have a man babysit her on the trail; she shouldn't have to put up with being judged on her looks.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Upstate Hiker wrote:Alright, boys. Let's play nice. Just as a woman shouldn't expect to have a man babysit her on the trail; she shouldn't have to put up with being judged on her looks.

Absolutely. Posting pictures was unnecessary and completely out of line.

Postby peter303 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm

I read all these recent threads about the Spring Breakers coming from the lowlands to climb their first winter 14er. I get a little nervous for them. I hope they read this thread.

Postby nkan02 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:24 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:I don't think Sarah would appreciate you calling her a noob. She has more tenacity than people I have met with more experience...

ahem, in her article, she called herself a noob (or a rookie). Tenacity is not a substitute for experience.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby steelfrog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Let me enhance the controversy potential of this thread with just 2 little words:

Aron Ralston

Discuss!

Postby eagrnnr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Always do your research when you head out. Have all the basic survival gear as well as extra warm clothes, such as extra gloves, socks, hat, perhaps slip in an extra underarmor. Several years of snowshoeing has also taught that you gotta respect these mountains. Not just the 14ers, but all of the Rockies, especially in winter.

Stay safe out there everybody.

Dang, on the note of Ralston. I am glad he survived, but at the same time it was ridiculously stupid to go hiking alone without telling anybody when to expect him back. Heck, we tell people where we're going AND we tell them we'll give them a call at a predetermined time, and if we don't then something bad may have happened. That's just safe-hiking 101.

PreviousNext