Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat Mar 3 - Sangre 13er 5-Pack (FKA Princeton SW Ridge)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sat Mar 3 - Sangre 13er 5-Pack (FKA Princeton SW Ridge)

Postby geojed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Sat Mar 3 - Climb Princeton via the SW ridge starting from the Grouse Canyon TH. If conditions/weather/daylight allow will traverse the ridge from PT13,971 to PT13,626.

Be ready for elevation gain as route gains ~3700' in first 1.7mi.

Beta from Ken Nolan, who has done this climb/route in winter, says it's a "fantastic" winter route for Princeton.

Beta from Steve Gladbach says he had no problem getting to PT13626 from PT13971 in winter.

Cheers,

Jed
Attachments
2-22-2012 3-34-22 PM.jpg
Route Plan
2-22-2012 3-34-22 PM.jpg (295.45 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
Last edited by geojed on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Re: Sat Mar 3 - Princeton SW Ridge from Grouse Canyon TH

Postby msmith7361 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 am

Jed, definitely interested. I was actually planning to climb Princeton yesterday, but cancelled due to weather. Where did you get those tracks of the route? It deviates a bit from the standard SW Ridge route, but looks safer since it gains the ridgeline earlier and avoids some of the west-facing steepness.

Postby geojed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm

I mapped it out myself but it is same route Ken Nolan used to climb princeto 6 yrs ago. It avoids the canyon and stays on south or west facing slopes. It would be great to have you along. :)

Postby summitbound » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:18 pm

This is a fantastic route! At least up Princeton. I did it 2 years ago (minus pt 13,626). TR's get buried so quickly I thought I'd refresh this one for you, it was a Nov summit but I suspect conditions on the ridge line will be similar. It was a big day with lots of elevation gain, not sure I would have been able to add the extra summit. We also hit the ridge line much sooner..roughly where the dashed red lines on the topo map intersect. (NE from elev marker 9965)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7496

Have fun!
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Postby msmith7361 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Looks awesome! Are you available on weekdays at all?

Postby geojed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Summitbound, I've milked your TR for info too. You have some great pics on that TR

Re: Sat Mar 3 - Sangre 5-pack

Postby geojed » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Looking at the forecast has got me to thinking about changing this weekend's climb to something in the Sangres. The Sawatch are supposed to get slammed by two more storms this week with a couple of feet of snow forecast to fall! :shock: The Sangres, on the other hand, are only supposed to get 4-8in of snow from this week's storms.

So, I've had another trip brewing in my mind for the past month or so. The plan is to climb up-to five 13ers in the Sangre de Cristo's starting from the Gibson Creek TH. The peaks in order of summit are: Spread Eagle (13423'), "Cloud Peak" (13524'), "Silver Peak" (13513'), PT13490, and then Rito Alto Peak (13,794')

You can get a good view of these peaks as you look straight West on this 360degree panorama (taken from Spread Eagle's summit) on 13ers.com: http://www.13ers.com/peaks/panoramas.php?parmid=57

Stats for ALL five peaks: 13.18mi, 8634' elev gain. :twisted: The route map is below. This mapped route tries to minimize the elevation gain by traversing below Silver Peak from PT13490 to Rito Alto, but if the slopes look too loaded we would have to resummit Silver Peak. From Mikes photos, the traverse from Rito Alto back to Spread Eagle looks doable on wind-blown talus and loaded snowfields are avoidable. We will not blindly follow the blue line on the map but will assess avy conditions along the whole route and choose the safest way.

Mike (Boggy B) just did a climb this last weekend of Spread Eagle, Cloud, Rito Alto Peak, and Hermit Peak from the Gibson Creek TH. Here is a Facebook photo album of his trip. The ridges are looking nicely windblown and dry. Even the East Ridge of PT13490 looks pretty windblown.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.715532225676.2139516.15500092&type=1&l=98748812a7
Attachments
2-27-2012 2-24-12 PM.jpg
2-27-2012 2-24-12 PM.jpg (315.95 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe

Re: Sat Mar 3 - Sangre 13er 5-Pack (FKA Princeton SW Ridge)

Postby geojed » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Here's a screen grab from the 13ers.com 360deg panorama labeling the the 5-pack o' Sangre 13ers and showing them in all their snowy splendor. I would like to get a 5AM "on-the-trail" start for this hike to maximize chances of getting all 5 peaks. My main goal is actually PT13490's East Ridge and if time/energy/sanity/sunlight and conditions allow I would like to get Rito Alto too. 8)
Attachments
2-27-2012 2-52-38 PM.jpg
2-27-2012 2-52-38 PM.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 pm

If my current plans fall through, I'm with you here.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby geojed » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 am

FYI,

There may be a subset of the group that would aim for bagging Rito Alto Peak as their primary objective. So that is also an option if anyone would like to just do 3 peaks (Spread Eagle, Cloud, Rito Alto) instead of all five peaks.

Cheers,

Jed

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 am

I will likely be joining for this, told Jed I would confirm with him on Thursday.

geojed wrote:that is also an option if anyone would like to just do 3 peaks (Spread Eagle, Cloud, Rito Alto) instead of all five peaks

What is the mileage and vertical gain of only hiking these 3?
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby geojed » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am

Brian Thomas wrote:I will likely be joining for this, told Jed I would confirm with him on Thursday.

geojed wrote:that is also an option if anyone would like to just do 3 peaks (Spread Eagle, Cloud, Rito Alto) instead of all five peaks

What is the mileage and vertical gain of only hiking these 3?

~10mi RT w/ 6600ft elev gain.

Next