Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat - Jan 14 - Yale East Ridge

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sat - Jan 14 - Yale East Ridge

Postby geojed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm

We started around 5am and Aaron (andyouseeme) and I summited Yale @ 10am and then bagged Mascot pk. We descended down a fairly dry avy gully down to the TH by 1:30pm for a RT of 8.5hrs. I even have 3G at the TH where I'm posting this from. :lol: A bit windy on the ridge but still had an awesome time!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Spoke537 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Nice job! The wind scared me away this morning after a restless night getting rocked in the car.

Hitting the snow bike race at Copper Mountain this evening then back to try Yale tomorrow.

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Awesome group and an awesome day! Great meeting the new faces, looking forward to next time :)

Postby ETA » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Jed, You're a mountain goat. Good to see you're out working the hills, I enjoy the reports. Keep it going.
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.

Postby Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Did you see our post-hole tracks near the saddle as we went and hit the ridge around 11,900 feet?
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby geojed » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:46 am

Matt Lemke wrote:Did you see our post-hole tracks near the saddle as we went and hit the ridge around 11,900 feet?

Yes, we remembered the advice of taking the left fork at each split. Also, the packed trail was quite narrow with VERY soft shoulders. If your foot landed on the edge of the boot pack you would quickly post-hole. :shock:

Despite the constant wind we had, that E. Ridge of Yale was a lot of fun! Nice variety of terrain and fun scrambling that you could mix in if you decided to climb over instead of bypassing those rocky knobs.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe

Postby SeracZack » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:06 am

It was certainly nice to meet all of the new faces and definitely looking forward to another one!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Geojed, you could have killed someone!

Postby spiderman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 am

I am not sure about your side of the story, but Chris could have gotten killed on this trip. She was abandoned on the trail, got lost, and headed up the wrong mountain. She had neither the experience or the equipment to be out solo at this time of the year. Inadequate clothes, navigation equipment, foot-gear, water, etc. The only thing that she had going for her was that she was young and in very good physical shape. After getting back down to the right trail, she joined up with myself and my son. We went up to 13k where it became obvious that we could not 100% guarantee getting to the peak and returning safely back to the cars before dark. Soon after turning around, Chris slipped and literally did a cartwheel off a couple foot drop. We swore for sure that she would have broken a bone or badly sprained a joint. Fortunately she is one lucky and tough lady, had landed on her pack, and still could walk afterwards. It would have been a very awkward rescue from that elevation in the winter. She had a very long and painful trip back to the TH with us.

Do not abandon fellow hikers on the trail, especially someone who was not prepared to be solo on a 14er in the winter. There was a very significant chance that she could have become lost and died, or went down an icy avalanche gully and, without microspikes, crampons, ice axe, or snowshoes, been found dead at the bottom of the gulch.

Perhaps y'all have a different version of the events prior to becoming separated with her? Nevertheless, we will never try to join up with one of your expeditions again.

Doug and Spiderman

Postby d_baker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 am

spiderman wrote:I am not sure about your side of the story, but Chris could have gotten killed on this trip. She was abandoned on the trail, got lost, and headed up the wrong mountain. She had neither the experience or the equipment to be out solo at this time of the year. Inadequate clothes, navigation equipment, foot-gear, water, etc. The only thing that she had going for her was that she was young and in very good physical shape. After getting back down to the right trail, she joined up with myself and my son. We went up to 13k where it became obvious that we could not 100% guarantee getting to the peak and returning safely back to the cars before dark. Soon after turning around, Chris slipped and literally did a cartwheel off a couple foot drop. We swore for sure that she would have broken a bone or badly sprained a joint. Fortunately she is one lucky and tough lady, had landed on her pack, and still could walk afterwards. It would have been a very awkward rescue from that elevation in the winter. She had a very long and painful trip back to the TH with us.

Do not abandon fellow hikers on the trail, especially someone who was not prepared to be solo on a 14er in the winter. There was a very significant chance that she could have become lost and died, or went down an icy avalanche gully and, without microspikes, crampons, ice axe, or snowshoes, been found dead at the bottom of the gulch.

Perhaps y'all have a different version of the events prior to becoming separated with her? Nevertheless, we will never try to join up with one of your expeditions again.

Doug and Spiderman

Interesting....while one should be properly prepared for conditions and the season, fellow hikers should also be considerate of others that join them, especially if they organized/posted for partners. If that was the case here.
I'm glad the abandoned lady is ok.

Postby geojed » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 am

Wow! :shock: :shock: I honestly didn't know the severity of her experience. :oops: :oops: All she said to me when she got back to the car was that she had taken the wrong trail. I didn't know she had fallen. :( Thank you VERY much for helping her. =D> =D>

The story from my side at least was that within 1/4 - 1/3 of a mile of the TH after we started, and while ascending the initial switchbacks she stopped and motioned the others in the group behind her to go on by. I guess it was due to the pace we were hiking at. I kept looking back as were hiking and noticing there were only 7 of us. I didn't know she had done this until we were at halfway up to the 11,800' pass and some of the others in the group mentioned her waving them on. At the ridge we made a large 6ft long arrow :arrow: :arrow: out of branches pointing at the turn to make at the crucial junction in the meadow at 11,800' and wrote her name in the snow. She missed that arrow on the way up and turned right. I also didn't know that she came ill-equiped for the winter/snow/ice conditions and hadn't studied the route/map like I usually do. I assumed that she came equipped with at least Micro-Spikes. I take it for granted that's part of the personal responsibilty that each climber takes when climbing in mountains and especially in the winter.

Thank you again for helping her.=D> =D> I'm truly sorry to hear of her bad experience :oops: and I hope she recovers from her injuries quickly and gets to felling better soon. [-o<

P.S: C'mon Darin, next time, remember to smoke some crack :wink: before you know the full story and post remarks that impugn me. Give me a break :roll: and next time at least allow me to tell my side of the story first please.
Last edited by geojed on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:58 am

I pretty much second geojed's response to spidermans one-sided story. We started in the dark for an hour and a half and could not see when she dropped out of the pack, as others were doing the same. We then waited for 20 minutes before Jed and I took off for our intended climb, Yale and then over to Mascot, which everyone knew was our plan from the get-go. We made a large arrow out of branches and even wrote her name in the snow pointing the direction. The colorado trail was amazingly packed and easy to follow, with numerous people out on the trail all day. Quite a bit different then getting separated way out in the backcountry with no one else around or an easy trail to follow right back to the car. One more thing, we had cell service almost all day and were in contact with each other.

As far as abandonment is concerned, waaaayyyy too strong a word, especially without all of the details. Spiderman must not have seen 7 of us all walk out together, carrying her pack, giving her water and drugs, and being as supportive as possible. Could things have maybe been done differently, by everyone involved, sure, but decisions are made on the fly out there. We should have made a better plan when we all took off I guess, but my goal was bigger than all but Jed's, and I knew I had to move at a decent pace in order to get to Mascot, my main reason for coming along on the trip.

Nowhere on the climbing connection page does it mention that by putting together a trip, you are then offering a guided trip. Each and every person should have the appropriate gear, experience, and route knowledge. No one was abandoned. Hopefully Chris chimes in and sets this straight.

Chris, I am sooooo glad to hear that your knee is doing better, it was great meeting and hiking with you. I hope to get out and climb with you soon, and to meet your puppies :)

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:15 am

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Nowhere on the climbing connection page does it mention that by putting together a trip, you are then offering a guided trip. ... No one was abandoned.

Does it really have to? I wasn't on Yale this weekend so I can't comment on this particular incident. But if you're publicly posting about and leading group trips, then yes, I believe you're responsible for the attendees. I'm not saying you can't split the party and go after your own goals. All it takes is a little communication. If someone's moving slower than you, it's only a two minute conversation to explain you're going to go ahead and make sure everyone is comfortable with that. If you don't want that responsibility, don't post for partners.

I do agree it's up to individuals to come prepared. I'm glad everything turned out OK in the end.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

PreviousNext