Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! (Update & RVSP)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Are you planning to be at the Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Yes, I'm definitely planning on being there!
76%
No, can't make it this time. : (
24%
Yes, but I told my wife I'd be skiing, so please don't tell her I'm on a 14er again.
No votes
Yes, but my husband thinks I think he'll be skiing. Imagine his surprise. : )
No votes

Total votes : 49

Re: Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! (Update & RVSP)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:13 am

As of 11am this morning:

Not much snow up there. Maybe 5" new. Well packed trail. Someone marked the route through the trees with tape. Not enough snow up high for board or skis.

Postby Carl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 am

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 25. Wind chill values as low as -11. Windy, with a west northwest wind 32 to 35 mph increasing to between 41 and 44 mph. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph.

Might have to leave the plastic saucer sled I borrowed from mtnfiend in the truck.

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:41 am

I have room in my car for one more from Denver, leaving at about 6:15 a.m.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Waggs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:As of 11am this morning:

Not much snow up there. Maybe 5" new. Well packed trail. Someone marked the route through the trees with tape. Not enough snow up high for board or skis.

While I'll still bring mine, is the need for snow shoes diminishing?

Waggs.
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby MichiganBrian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Officially out. Cleared by the doc., but the PT worked me hard enough today that moving from my bed to my couch is likely to be a considerable task...

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Waggs wrote: is the need for snow shoes diminishing?

Waggs.

Yes.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 pm

MichiganBrian wrote:Officially out. Cleared by the doc., but the PT worked me hard enough today that moving from my bed to my couch is likely to be a considerable task...

Brian, sorry to hear that. Hang in there.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:28 pm

PUB and GJT offices still not putting the winds in. DEN office mellowing on it a little, though. Best I can see at this point: Steady winds in the 20s, possibly 30s near the summit, out of the WNW, with gusts into the 40s. I have not seen a current forcast calling for 70mph gusts. GFS models have backed off a little as well.

Bottom line: Dealing with winds on a peak this time of year is a reality. Bring something with a hood, for sure. I'll probably skip the goggles, myself. A balaclava, in addition to a beanie, both under some type of hood, would be reasonable preparation for any peak in snow season. Wind-proof gloves or mittens would be wise, and make sure to have plenty of insulation for the feet, as the winds can chill hands and feet. I'm going to be bold and skip the usual winter-time gortex shell (paclite or proshell), but will have a hooded top layer with windstopper material. We're planning to leave the snowshoes behind.

Hope all that helps. See you guys up there.

Jim

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:18 pm

I have found with Quandary the final couple hundred feet to the summit can be the most brutal on a windy day. Sometimes the summit itself has significantly less wind than that final push.

I’d say the ability to have no exposed flesh could be huge for staying comfortable (and not getting frost nip). Having the layers to stay physically comfortable can also keep you mentally comfortable. I will ere on the side of packing extra clothes I won’t need. It would really suck to get to about 13,500 and realize you are running a huge heat deficit.

Since I have them, I’ll be wearing my double boots. We'll throw in the snowshoes but it sounds like we won’t need them. I will take handwarmers.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby bhess86 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Someone's bringing Jack? I'll bring a flask of scotch. No one should drink alone.
Benedicite montes et colles Domino, laudate et superexaltate eum in saecula.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 pm

If anybody is still up... Here's a shot of the ridge, courtesy of Jay521.
Thanks, Jay!

DSCN1330.jpg
DSCN1330.jpg (294.42 KiB) Viewed 895 times

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 pm

See everyone on the morning. If anyone brings a radio I'll have one set to channel 14-14. I'll be in a navy blue Mazda 3, black Marmot beanie, blue/gray Millet pack.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

PreviousNext