Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! (Update & RVSP)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Are you planning to be at the Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Yes, I'm definitely planning on being there!
76%
No, can't make it this time. : (
24%
Yes, but I told my wife I'd be skiing, so please don't tell her I'm on a 14er again.
No votes
Yes, but my husband thinks I think he'll be skiing. Imagine his surprise. : )
No votes

Total votes : 49

Re: Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! (Update & RVSP)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:19 am

rijaca wrote:Evans in the winter is a pretty long day. I don't know which route you are planning, but note that you won't be able to drive to the top of Guanella Pass then, so you'll be starting at least a mile below the Pass if that's your plan.

Hadn't thought of that route. It's a possibility. More thinking the road. See Steve's TR from last March.

I'll down for Evans.

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 am

Evans from the winter closure on the Georgetown side (Silver Dollar TH) is around 10 miles and 3700 vert. I've done it twice from the closure (March and May) and both times it took me over nine hours. There are usually shortcut trenches that cut the distance on the road. Also, there is absolutely no reason to go all the way to the top of the pass. Around the last or second to last switchback, you can jump off the road and just go cross-country deep into Scott Gomer Gulch. Both times I chose to follow the creek on less steep terrain between Gray Wolf and Spalding and then took a hard right to gain the ridge to Evans.

I was lucky enough both times to not need snowshoes in the morning but the return trips were less friendly.

The west ridge of Evans can be frustrating with fresh snow. The terrain doesn't really warrant snowshoes because of the angle and you probably won't know if the snow you are stepping on hides a rock or thigh-deep hole. Staying ridge proper (or close to it) might be better. On the whole, that ridge is only 0.7 miles but it can take time.

The summit of Evans is actually a pretty nice place to visit when the road is closed way down low. You can see the Denver skyline from there and a bighorn sheep herd is known to linger.

The Guanella Pass area in general is a good place to hone your winter skills. The proximity to Denver is dope. I think it is only 50 miles one-way from my place to the winter closure. And there are three good options up there - Evans, Bierstadt and Square Top. I guess one could include Gray Wolf on that list as well.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 am

With the present state of Guanella Pass construction can we depend on plowing to the new lower parking lot at the gated switchback?
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby rijaca » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 am

MountainHiker wrote:With the present state of Guanella Pass construction can we depend on plowing to the new lower parking lot at the gated switchback?

Info here.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Greenhouseguy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 am

I'd be in favor of doing Evans. It would be a difficult solo, but not really so hard with experienced trailbreakers leading the way. I hiked part of the route that Papillon described when I did a winter ascent on Bierstadt. There is probably some avalanche terrain on the road to be wary of, but the rest of the route should be relatively safe.

Shouldn't we start a new thread for this discussion? We're talking about a winter gathering now, not the Third Annual Winter Welcomer.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby kushrocks » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Greenhouseguy wrote:I'd be in favor of doing Evans. It would be a difficult solo, but not really so hard with experienced trailbreakers leading the way. I hiked part of the route that Papillon described when I did a winter ascent on Bierstadt. There is probably some avalanche terrain on the road to be wary of, but the rest of the route should be relatively safe.

Shouldn't we start a new thread for this discussion? We're talking about a winter gathering now, not the Third Annual Winter Welcomer.

Yep . . its coming out soon.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby crossfitter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Just as an FYI, Al (Alby426) usually organizes/drums up interest for a Quandary outing in January. Not sure if he is doing it this year, but he has the last 3 or 4.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 pm

OK, sounds like NYE on Evans. We should have a back-up plan in a different nearby range just in case of high winds in the northern front range, as often happens. Antero would be a good b/u plan in that case.

As to route choice, I was thinking the road. Steve went via the road last March. Ken has done that quite a few times I believe. I personally would like to try getting the mountain bike up it, if conditions are anything close to reasonable for that sort of thing. On the other hand, going in from Guanella may shorten the overall distance.

I'll get something posted here shortly.

Jim

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:52 pm

crossfitter wrote:Just as an FYI, Al (Alby426) usually organizes/drums up interest for a Quandary outing in January. Not sure if he is doing it this year, but he has the last 3 or 4.

Cris, good point. I'm hoping we're not stepping on Al's toes here. A lot of folks have expressed a desire to attempt Evans for NYE, plus we just did Quandary for the group thing. If there are two groups for NYE, I see that as a good thing. Quandary is almost always a safe bet, and a good one for beginners. It could also be an excellent b/u plan in the event of weather. For now, a few of us are planning Evans with an open invite. Of course, we'll have to see how weather and conditions stack up between now and then.

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 pm

FWIW the January Quandary outing last year wasn't until later in the month. I think it was Jan. 15.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Previous