Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! (Update & RVSP)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Are you planning to be at the Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Yes, I'm definitely planning on being there!
76%
No, can't make it this time. : (
24%
Yes, but I told my wife I'd be skiing, so please don't tell her I'm on a 14er again.
No votes
Yes, but my husband thinks I think he'll be skiing. Imagine his surprise. : )
No votes

Total votes : 49

Re: Third Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! (Update & RVSP)

Postby metalmountain » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:27 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:James, many thanks for the great costumes! That was so classic. =D>

No problem! The only bad part of them was the stupid fake mustache. When the wind kicked up it was like someone put a plastic bag over my face. Maybe when I achieve adulthood I can actually grow a real one.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby msnunn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 am

Had a blast on the climb this weekend! It was great to meet everyone!

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 am

I hereby proudly claim what I suspect is the FTA (First Tebow Ascent) of Quandary Peak, and possibly the FTA of a 14,000-foot mountain in Colorado. I'd like to thank my mom for always encouraging me to chase my dreams, my hiking partners for sharing a (metaphorical) rope, and of course future career third-stringer Tim Tebow for the inspiration.

(photo courtesy RJansen77)
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby metalmountain » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I hereby proudly claim what I suspect is the FTA (First Tebow Ascent) of Quandary Peak, and possibly the FTA of a 14,000-foot mountain in Colorado. I'd like to thank my mom for always encouraging me to chase my dreams, my hiking partners for sharing a (metaphorical) rope, and of course future career third-stringer Tim Tebow for the inspiration.

Hahaha awesome...
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:29 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I hereby proudly claim what I suspect is the FTA (First Tebow Ascent) of Quandary Peak, and possibly the FTA of a 14,000-foot mountain in Colorado. I'd like to thank my mom for always encouraging me to chase my dreams, my hiking partners for sharing a (metaphorical) rope, and of course future career third-stringer Tim Tebow for the inspiration.

I was wondering if you were planning to start another war here. :D
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby nkan02 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:17 pm

I was actually wondering why you were trying to replicate Rodin's Thinker on the summit. But then of course I don't watch TV :)
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:50 pm

MountainFever wrote:Image

Rangers fan, Terry? 'Cause you appear to be thinking about baseball...

Postby Baba Ganoush » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Great pics! Looks like it was a blast!
Glad it was a fun and safe day for everyone!

Looking forward to the next gathering when I am back in my boots.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! \:D/
"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." -Groucho Marx

Postby Fisching » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 pm

While I may be echoing everyone else who has chimed in, it's still worth saying. It was a great outing and I'm looking forward to the next one, whenever it is.

~Greg
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby jpfeif001 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:17 pm

I wish we hadn't had to turn around so quickly. I would have loved to meet all of you, it looks like everyone had a great time up there. When is the next gathering? As I am fairly new to 14ers.com I do not know the trends here. Have lived in Colorado my whole life and only recently found this site. Man have I been missing out.
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 am

jpfeif001 wrote: When is the next gathering?

I know, that one was a blast.
Someone will post something. That's usually all it takes to get the 14ers wrecking crew out for a party. :lol:

Thanks again to all the crazy 14ers characters that made this last event so sweetly memorable.... :wink:

Postby metalmountain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
jpfeif001 wrote: When is the next gathering?

I know, that one was a blast.
Someone will post something. That's usually all it takes to get the 14ers wrecking crew out for a party. :lol:

Thanks again to all the crazy 14ers characters that made this last event so sweetly memorable.... :wink:

How about a New Years Eve hike?! That would fall on a Saturday this year. New Years Day is out for several obvious reasons.

PreviousNext