Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Salt Lake/Wasatch ski partners Fri and Sat

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Salt Lake/Wasatch ski partners Fri and Sat

Postby clemsonmtneer » Thu May 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Probably a long shot, but I'm in Salt Lake for a few days and looking to ski the backcountry both tomorrow and Saturday mornings. If anyone in the area is interested in joining let me know!

Re: Salt Lake/Wasatch ski partners Fri and Sat

Postby skiwall » Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I would be all over that if I didn't happen to be in Oklahoma for work. I'd hook you up with some of my partners, but they're all injured. It's a little sad. You could try the telemark talk forum on teletips? There's a Wasatch thread, although it hasn't gotten much traffic this year. Or you could hang out in the White Pine parking lot. That works for me every now and again.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Gahugafuga » Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 pm

At this time of year, Alta ski area is closed and turns into "backcountry." Pretty much every day there will be dozens of people touring up there so it isn't too hard to fall in with some locals and ski some fun lines that the resort doesn't open much during the season.

Postby JakeK » Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 am

Same deal @ Brighton and Solitude... there will probably be plenty of people around. You should stick around a bit longer... NOAA is predicting another 10-18 inches Sunday into Monday!

Postby clemsonmtneer » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up skiing Sunset Peak today, cut skier's left down the ridge to the saddle between Sunset and Rocky Point, then dropped into the north bowl... perfect corn snow turns down this aspect! Got a bit sloppy on the way out as temps were very warm today. Actually set off a small wet slide while ski cutting a short, steep aspect lower down. Surprisingly there was almost no one up there today. Saw one guy early on who only skinned up about a mile before turning around, and a xc skier in the Brighton parking lot when I got back, but that was it. Beautiful area... the views from Catherine Pass up to Sunset were awesome.

I'm probably heading back to Little Cottonwood tomorrow morning. I'm guessing there will be more people since it'll be a Saturday, so might be easier to hook up with other skiers. I was looking at Flagstaff Mtn but that may depend on whether or not it freezes tonight (very weak freeze last night).

JakeK wrote:Same deal @ Brighton and Solitude... there will probably be plenty of people around. You should stick around a bit longer... NOAA is predicting another 10-18 inches Sunday into Monday!

Wish I could! Unfortunately, the "real world" will be calling me back (and the money running out), so I have to drive back to Denver after skiing tomorrow morning. I've enjoyed the Wasatch so far... definitely plan on returning soon.

Postby JakeK » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Thats a great area... lots of fun skiing on and around Sunset Peak. FYI there was a good amount of avy activity today in LCC ( http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15439413 ) and the low temps tonight at 8500-9000 feet are only going to be around 40, so tomorrow could be more of the same. Flagstaff is a fun ski descent, just be aware of where you are going on the way down... the obvious fall line can easily pull you into a halfpipe-like gully which is a major terrain trap. Its pretty obvious though and if you stay above it, you'll be good. Views from up there are hard to beat!

Postby clemsonmtneer » Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I was definitely glad not to be out any later than I was today with the weakening snowpack. Tomorrow will have to be an early start for sure with it being a south facing route... hopefully the snow firms up overnight, but if not then I'll save it for the next trip out.