Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering: Mt. Hope

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Spring Gathering: Mt. Hope

Postby kimo » Sun May 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes Sen, that was a great day of breathtaking views earned through a nice variety of challenges.

We met the Finns at the base of the SE ridge and summitted Hope with them. Good to meet you, Bob and Kate.

I was hoping to meet others but Mt Hope turned out to be a very quiet place on Saturday.

Here are a few pics...

This pic, taken from Quail, shows the entire SE ridge of Hope. It was our route to the summit. Gaining the ridge was the crux of the route.
_DSC9968.jpg
_DSC9968.jpg (223.13 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

Hope's NE slopes and Hopeful Couloir.
_DSC9925.jpg
_DSC9925.jpg (207.16 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

The cornice at the top of Hopeful Couloir.
_DSC9818.jpg
_DSC9818.jpg (188.96 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

Postby BobbyFinn » Sun May 08, 2011 3:18 pm

It was nice to meet you and Sen. We felt bad - we lead you up the wrong way and then you broke trail the rest of the way through the snow! I guess being slow has its advantages some times...
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby SenadR » Sun May 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Same here!
No worries, we had blast breaking trail on that ridge :lol:
Guys, great job glissading that slope
1.jpg
1.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 998 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Postby kimo » Sun May 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Bob, no way, there was nothing wrong about it. I thought it was a really beautiful line from the trees to the upper basin to the ridge. You lead us to 'Finn Couloir', it got us to the summit, and no one got hurt. Good times :mrgreen:

_DSC9644.jpg
_DSC9644.jpg (186.35 KiB) Viewed 943 times

Postby EatinHardtack » Sun May 08, 2011 5:41 pm

My buddy Steve and I were up there also. Bailed on 'our' line on Saturday because of warming snow and avalanche conditions. Got back to the TH at 10:30am and began to drink, drink some more and continue drinking. We summited today just right of our intended line yesterday, our option yesterday ended up avalanching. Mt. Hope was a lonely place today.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby BobbyFinn » Sun May 08, 2011 5:43 pm

kimo wrote:Bob, no way, there was nothing wrong about it. I thought it was a really beautiful line from the trees to the upper basin to the ridge. You lead us to 'Finn Couloir', it got us to the summit, and no one got hurt. Good times :mrgreen:

_DSC9644.jpg

I actually agree. Other than the soft snow, I thought the route was very nice - we saw 2 different drainages, had 2 snow climbs, a nice trek through the trees on the ridge to Hope, then a proper ridge walk, a nice wide summit, and then almost 2 thousand verts of glissades followed by a walk through that beautiful basin. Kate and I think that even though the walk out was tough, it was a great day (we chose to forget about the unpleasantness back below treeline trying to find the trail out.

Finn Couloir - nice. How do we make that official?

Postby BobbyFinn » Sun May 08, 2011 7:12 pm

By the way, Kimo - Congrats on your 100th and 101st summits!

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Sun May 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Congrats to all of you! And congrats to Kimo for his 100th and 101st.

If it hadn't of been mother's day weekend, I might have been on your tracks as well...should have been a nice broken in path after 4 of you! :)
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby kimo » Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you. 100 peaks is a milestone that seems as sweet as my first kiss (well maybe not that sweet), driving for the first time, turning 21, earning three weeks of vacation, or any other life-changing achievement. I guess the next big milestone is a natural. 42 to go.

BobbyFinn wrote:...it was a great day (we chose to forget about the unpleasantness back below treeline trying to find the trail out.

We pushed through 300 feet of deep rotten snow to reach the set of tracks down by the creek. I let out a big yell! and collapsed into the snow in relief. The satisfaction was sweet. Hope and Quail weren't Capitol in winter but they weren't easy. However the joy was short lived. We soon realized that the good trail we followed in was another 50 feet above us, through dense timber and rotten snow. It was the longest 50 feet ever. I wonder if those were your tracks down low. Mount Hope was hard-earned this weekend but it was worth every stumble, slip, and heart-pounding smile.

EatinHardtack wrote:We summited today just right of our intended line yesterday, our option yesterday ended up avalanching.

What line did you take?

Previous