Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering: BelOx

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby lemurtech » Thu May 05, 2011 12:33 pm

The turn off is actually about 50 yards before the location on the map, then if there is room take a right and drive to where the location on the map is, its on the dirt road below the main road. But not all of us will be able to fit there, some will have to leave there cars near the entrance.

I'm planning on getting Oxford too, I've been on Belford multiple times but never made it over to Oxford, this time I'm determined to get there, that is if I can kick the cold I have now.

Postby jagiammaria » Thu May 05, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm planning to do Bel/Ox on Saturday. I'll be heading down Friday, and hopefully leaving here no later than 6. I'll be in an older dark blue Subaru lacking greatly in hood paint.

Postby tmathews » Thu May 05, 2011 12:52 pm

lemurtech wrote:I'm planning on getting Oxford too, I've been on Belford multiple times but never made it over to Oxford, this time I'm determined to get there, that is if I can kick the cold I have now.

If you plan on doing Oxford, then heading up Elkhead Pass might be the way to go for you. It's a much more gradual gain of elevation instead of the slog up Belford's ridge and the trail takes you just south of Belford's summit on the way to Oxford. Just make sure you have snowshoes or skis. I once postholed back and forth across the basin below Belford and Missouri for three hours (up to my crotch at times) trying to find the trail since I had never been up that way before. :shock:

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:15 pm

I always hang a few glow sticks at the entry... But if you start turning right up a switchback, go back to the base of the turn and start looking to the left.

Postby nkan02 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:02 am

semitrueskerm wrote:90-percent looking to arrive Saturday afternoon. Will be waiting at camp for those coming down and looking for partners for Sunday on Bel/Ox (or Missouri, if that's a better option.)

I am in the same boat as you are. Will be open to hiking Missouri or Bel/Ox on Sunday with whoever is staying after Saturday hikes.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby sgladbach » Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 am

Cooper and I will be attempting Belford by the standard route. My 11 y/o daughter, Alise, is our leader. She has dome 5 14ers and will be attempting her first on snowshoes. I was thinking between 7-7:30 on the trail. We plan to mnake certain we are not first (so the trail is well-packed.) I doubt we will attempt Oxford; I think that is too long for her above timberline.

We are coming Friday night (about 8pm) and plan to pitch a tent at the group site. We are going to stay in camp Saturday night, roast marshmallows, tell stories, and sing folk songs w/ the CSU group. We plan to get stinking drunk by scamming somebody else's homebrews, but I think I'll encourage her to stay away from the Ganja until her 10th 14er.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Matt Lemke » Fri May 06, 2011 11:11 am

Belford via. standard route is very doable right now. Very windblown and whatever remaining snow is quickly melting.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby MountainHiker » Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

MountainHikerette, Snowball and I will arrive at the group camp spot sometime this evening before dark. The plan is to do Belford on Saturday and we’ll see about Oxford when we are up there. We’ll stay and socialize for a while afterward but probably head home Saturday night.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby YooperJonKornely » Fri May 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Hello! I'm thinking of coming up either tonight or early early in the morning. I've climbed Belford before, not opposed to doing it again! But would maybe have my eyes on Oxford too. I'll bring some cold ones, would like to camp tonight and start hiking early... don't need to be in anyones group! But would like having people around during the hike, and especially for the cold ones! Does the camp spot have parking/tent area? Anyone just doing Oxford by chance? Thanks all, look forward to meeting some of you!

Postby tmathews » Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 pm

jofkorn1037 wrote:Does the camp spot have parking/tent area? Anyone just doing Oxford by chance? Thanks all, look forward to meeting some of you!

If we can access the site -- yes. From reports, it sounds like the road is just fine, but no one has commented on how much snow is still around alongside the road. There is someone else looking to do just Oxford. You'll have to read through this entire thread to find who it was.

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:48 pm

tmathews wrote:
jofkorn1037 wrote:Does the camp spot have parking/tent area? Anyone just doing Oxford by chance? Thanks all, look forward to meeting some of you!

If we can access the site -- yes. From reports, it sounds like the road is just fine, but no one has commented on how much snow is still around alongside the road. There is someone else looking to do just Oxford. You'll have to read through this entire thread to find who it was.

I think we should be able to access the site, it's pretty low compared to Rockdale (where the road was open to) - but be prepared for wet conditions. Hopefully there's a good supply of some reasonably dry, recently deceased, lumber around.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby semitrueskerm » Fri May 06, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm out. Something came up. Bummed. Have fun!

PreviousNext