Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering: BelOx

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby RockyRoad » Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Looking to carpool out earlyearly Saturday morning for BelOx.
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." -William Blake

Postby sunny1 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 am

What time would you guys start on Saturday a.m.?
I may be able to do Bel/Ox as a day trip from Denver Saturday - won't know for sure until Thurs or Fri.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby RockyRoad » Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 am

sunny1 wrote:What time would you guys start on Saturday a.m.?
I may be able to do Bel/Ox as a day trip from Denver Saturday - won't know for sure until Thurs or Fri.

I was hoping to leave Denver on Saturday 3-4am depending on what others do. That way we can start hiking around 6am-7am. Correct me if I'm wrong on the time it will take to get to the TH.
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." -William Blake

Postby smitty » Tue May 03, 2011 9:20 am

Anyone planning to skin/ski Belford on Saturday?

Postby tmathews » Tue May 03, 2011 9:29 am

smitty wrote:Anyone planning to skin/ski Belford on Saturday?

I doubt you'll be able to skin all the way up Belford's standard route. You'll likely be booting it up once you reach treeline. You can probably stay on skins longer if you head to Elkhead Pass, but you'll probably still have to boot up from the pass to the summit. At least that way isn't as steep. Hopefully, there will be enough continuous snow on Belford's SW aspect (doubtful, but you never know) to ski a line directly down into the basin below Elkhead Pass. The NW ridge is usually pretty wind-scoured.

Postby smitty » Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll try to join the folks doing MO instead.

Postby thevagabond » Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 pm

I'd like to head out around 4 am for belford/oxford, perhaps 5.

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue May 03, 2011 11:59 pm

90-percent looking to arrive Saturday afternoon. Will be waiting at camp for those coming down and looking for partners for Sunday on Bel/Ox (or Missouri, if that's a better option.)

Postby kushrocks » Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 am

Im looking to do Bel/Ox or Missouri Saturday morning with my girlfriend and superdog sophie (I will explain later) but I haven't decided for sure yet. Either way I will probably get up at 4 and be on the trailhead by 5 Saturday morning. Ill be arriving around 8pm Friday night but will pretty much just set up camp, introudce myself, see whos hiking what and when, then calling it a night. After the hike on Saturday I plan on grilling and drinking with everyone (should be an awesome time). I will be leaving Sunday morning for mothers day. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby sunny1 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm unfortunately out - need to go see my Mum in Granby.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am

kushrocks wrote:Im looking to do Bel/Ox or Missouri Saturday morning with my girlfriend and superdog sophie (I will explain later) but I haven't decided for sure yet. Either way I will probably get up at 4 and be on the trailhead by 5 Saturday morning. Ill be arriving around 8pm Friday night but will pretty much just set up camp, introudce myself, see whos hiking what and when, then calling it a night. After the hike on Saturday I plan on grilling and drinking with everyone (should be an awesome time). I will be leaving Sunday morning for mothers day. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

I'll be in a black Jeep, probably getting there a bit earlier than you. I need to find out where Terry and others are camping - south of the Winfield site or down below the switchbacks before you get to the Missouri Gulch TH. Plans sound sorta the same as yours, I'm going to be ambitious and say I'll do Oxford, but since I've ben a sloth for the last several months, we shall see.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby tmathews » Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am

wildlobo71 wrote:down below the switchbacks before you get to the Missouri Gulch TH.

I think this is probably the best area.

For those who don't know where it is this link shows the approximate location of the turnoff from CR 390.

PreviousNext