Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering: BelOx

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 am

Please use this thread if you want to coordinate a group or find partners for Mts. Belford and Oxford.

User avatar
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby jomagam » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

Is Vicksburg reachable by car already ?

Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 am

jomagam wrote:Is Vicksburg reachable by car already ?


Should be unless snow seriously dumped on the area. People were reporting being able to reach the Missouri Gulch TH a week or two ago.

User avatar
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby jomagam » Mon May 02, 2011 9:18 am

Cool. Is it kosher to sleep at the trailhead in a car ? Do people do anything special with food to make it bear safe ?

Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 am

jomagam wrote:Cool. Is it kosher to sleep at the trailhead in a car ? Do people do anything special with food to make it bear safe ?


There are signs posted there stating that no camping (includes car camping) is allowed at the TH. I've seen a lot of people car camp on the road, though. They just pull off to the side. You can get a stuff sack and hang your food in a tree with a rope or get a bear canister, but there are going to be so many people around I doubt you'll have to worry about it.

User avatar
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby jomagam » Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks. Haven't seen a recent thread on these peaks. What equipment is needed ? Snowshoes ? Are microspikes enough ?

User avatar
Posts: 2135
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 am
Location: SoSlo (South of Sloans Lake)

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 am

I'll be up there, scotch at the ready, for the 'Fords. Should be rolling in sometime early in the evening on Friday.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 am

jomagam wrote:Thanks. Haven't seen a recent thread on these peaks. What equipment is needed ? Snowshoes ? Are microspikes enough ?


Conditions are going to be a mixed bag as they always are in spring. You may not need snowshoes up the switchbacks up to the creek crossing, but you might want them after that. If the trail has seen a lot of traffic, there will be icy areas along the switchbacks that people often slip and fall on without Microspikes or other traction. It's unlikely you'll need them as your ascending Belford's standard route (Microspikes can be handy here), but if you decide to go onto Oxford flotation could be helpful. Also, if you decide to ascend/descend via Elkhead Pass, they will definitely be helpful.

User avatar
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 am
Location: Golden/Lakewood, Colorado

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby kushrocks » Mon May 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I was looking at Missouri but could be talked into doing Belford/Oxford. I was up in that area on 4/23 and the conditions sucked even with snowshoes we were sinking in every other step to our waist so I am really hoping they have improved a lot in two weeks. Are there open areas to camp near the trailhead if we cant actually camp at the trailhead? Or should I just look for the 14ers banner and then try and clear a spot near there? Ill be there with my girlfriend and 4 legged hiking partner. (Superdog Sophie- I will explain this weekend)
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

User avatar
Posts: 2135
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 am
Location: SoSlo (South of Sloans Lake)

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 pm

kushrocks wrote:I was looking at Missouri but could be talked into doing Belford/Oxford. I was up in that area on 4/23 and the conditions sucked even with snowshoes we were sinking in every other step to our waist so I am really hoping they have improved a lot in two weeks. Are there open areas to camp near the trailhead if we cant actually camp at the trailhead? Or should I just look for the 14ers banner and then try and clear a spot near there? Ill be there with my girlfriend and 4 legged hiking partner. (Superdog Sophie- I will explain this weekend)


I think we'll be camping below the TH at the nice camp areas just before you hit the switchback... I'll have my banner out. Hopefully wwe can get a group there early enough to stake the wide open areas near the creek.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

User avatar
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 am
Location: Golden/Lakewood, Colorado

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby kushrocks » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
kushrocks wrote:I was looking at Missouri but could be talked into doing Belford/Oxford. I was up in that area on 4/23 and the conditions sucked even with snowshoes we were sinking in every other step to our waist so I am really hoping they have improved a lot in two weeks. Are there open areas to camp near the trailhead if we cant actually camp at the trailhead? Or should I just look for the 14ers banner and then try and clear a spot near there? Ill be there with my girlfriend and 4 legged hiking partner. (Superdog Sophie- I will explain this weekend)


I think we'll be camping below the TH at the nice camp areas just before you hit the switchback... I'll have my banner out. Hopefully wwe can get a group there early enough to stake the wide open areas near the creek.



Sweet man. I should be there around 6ish hopefully. Great idea on the scotch by the way.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

User avatar
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: 80303

Re: Spring Gathering: BelOx

Postby thevagabond » Mon May 02, 2011 5:31 pm

I will be going for Oxford and Belford saturday, and camping at south winfield.

Sunday i'm thinking La Plata.

I will arrive in winfield friday around 6 pm or earlier if I can manage.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndYouSeeMe, Bing [Bot], Chico_P and 6 guests