Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering: Missouri Mtn

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Spring Gathering: Missouri Mtn

Postby tmathews » Sat May 07, 2011 9:55 am

Missouri group currently on summit. :D

Postby nesiha3 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:32 pm

To the group thinking about the East ridge on Missouri: my friend and I hit it on Thurs because there was too much sun on the standard route/north face couloirs. We literally saw a slide on the North Face couloirs right in front of us later in the day (about 2 PM).
If you do the East ridge, be sure to bring a small rope and a little pro. Route finding is a little difficult. There is a big tower that starts at about 13,400 - we tried to go to the right of it, where there was steep slab rock with soft sugar snow. There was one particular move i needed to make, which i was not comfortable doing without a rope given the high exposure. So we climbed back down to the front of the tower and tried to go straight up - I'd say the climbing was class 4-5...do-able, but I think a rope is in order for peace of mind. We ended up turning back at 13,700 because we couldn't see what to expect and didn't want to get stuck on something we couldn't downclimb. Sad, and I think we could have made it - but just wasn't worth the risk. If anyone needs some pictures with some beta, let me know. Sarah

Postby skiwall » Sat May 07, 2011 8:38 pm

tmathews wrote:Missouri group currently on summit. :D

nerd.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby tmathews » Sun May 08, 2011 9:46 am

The group that attempted the east ridge had a lot of pro and ropes, but it didn't matter. I'll let one of them fill you in if they want to. The group I joined up with were not able to go directly up the north couloirs. One a pit was dug it was determined that it would not be safe so we did a variation of the standard route. LOTS of point releases (wet slides) happening on east-facing aspects. Everyone please be careful out there.

Postby spaceman » Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 am

We enjoyed a long but successful day on the West Ridge, very little Avy danger that we were able to stay on the edges of. I will be posting a trip report soon.

I really enjoyed meeting a bunch of you up there and wish I could have stayed the second night at camp.

Derek

Postby kushrocks » Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 am

Thank for everyone who helped set up up an awesome weekend. My girlfriend and I had an great time camping and climbing with everyone. Looking forward to the next get together. Feel free to hit me up if you need hiking partners.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby bergsteigen » Sun May 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Quick MO ski update. Careful and frequent snowpack evaluation led to a successful climb and ski. The snow changed by the hour once the sun was up. Lots of photos and video to follow, prob by Eric

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Quick MO ski update. Careful and frequent snowpack evaluation led to a successful climb and ski. The snow changed by the hour once the sun was up. Lots of photos and video to follow, prob by Eric

Nice job!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun May 08, 2011 2:12 pm

This is seemingly the most active Spring Gathering thread, so I'll post this here:

I just talked to Dan and Eric and they made it down safely about an hour ago. They got both Belford and Oxford (and Eric skied both). So that means everyone from the Gathering is accounted for. Thanks for the fun weekend everyone!
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby globreal » Sun May 08, 2011 2:59 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:This is seemingly the most active Spring Gathering thread, so I'll post this here:

I just talked to Dan and Eric and they made it down safely about an hour ago. They got both Belford and Oxford (and Eric skied both). So that means everyone from the Gathering is accounted for. Thanks for the fun weekend everyone!

Yooohooo!

Congrats to all! \:D/
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby giarcd » Sun May 08, 2011 3:26 pm

So glad Eric and Dan found skiable snow on Bel and Oxf. and even better ,that they have returned safely. When I left camp this morning they where somewhere a few thousand feet above-----think that makes 13 '14ers summit skis' for Eric (lost sheep)---CONGRATS =D>

Postby crossfitter » Sun May 08, 2011 4:52 pm

tmathews wrote:The group that attempted the east ridge had a lot of pro and ropes, but it didn't matter. I'll let one of them fill you in if they want to.

It was scary.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

PreviousNext