Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering: Missouri Mtn

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Spring Gathering: Missouri Mtn

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 am

Please use this thread if you want to coordinate a group or find partners for Missouri Mountain.

Re: Spring Gathering: Missouri Mtn

Postby hberry » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 am

Eric (LostSheep5) and I plan on skiing Missouri - Not sure on which day yet - need to coordinate with him.

I may also do La Plata that weekend.

Postby hberry » Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 am

Also- for those people that won't be skiing - do you think that crampon's will be needed for hiking? Girlfriend is coming and is not going to ski.

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 am

hberry wrote:Also- for those people that won't be skiing - do you think that crampon's will be needed for hiking? Girlfriend is coming and is not going to ski.

I wouldn't want to be without them on Missouri's standard approach. It usually gets pretty loaded with snow and the trail isn't easy to find underneath it unless there have been a lot of people up it. Descending can be pretty treacherous as well. I doubt they'll be needed for Belford/Oxford, though, but you never know.

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 pm

I'll be climbing Missouri's North Face Couloirs with dmccool and (I think) speth. We're leaning toward Saturday last I checked, but waiting to see what everyone else is doing and trying to mitigate overcrowding.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Gueza » Mon May 02, 2011 3:46 pm

hberry wrote:Eric (LostSheep5) and I plan on skiing Missouri - Not sure on which day yet - need to coordinate with him.

I may also do La Plata that weekend.

Leaning towards Saturday for MO, Otina (Bergsteigen) says she will be up there too. I was thinking that it might be a better idea to ski Belford-Oxford first to get the longer harder day out of the way first (Saturday) but I'll see what everyone is doing.

~Eric
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

HA!!! I'm climbing Missouri on Thursday during the fantastic weather period...I'll break a trail!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby crossfitter » Mon May 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Darrin (Kansas) and I are planning on an attempt of the East Ridge via Elkhead pass
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon May 02, 2011 5:19 pm

crossfitter wrote:Darrin (Kansas) and I are planning on an attempt of the East Ridge via Elkhead pass

Gotta see that TR.

Postby spaceman » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I'll be climbing Missouri's North Face Couloirs with dmccool and (I think) speth. We're leaning toward Saturday last I checked, but waiting to see what everyone else is doing and trying to mitigate overcrowding.

I'd be interested in doing the North Face on Saturday. Where are people camping Friday night, I was leaning towards hiking into Missouri Gulch and camping in the valley there somewhere Friday night and probably heading back on Saturday after climbing Missouri.

The other option was to hike up by the lake on the Rockdale trailhead and climb the West Ridge Saturday.

Derek

Postby Mountain Ninja » Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm also going to be climbing Missouri's North Face couloir on Saturday... looking to hike/climb with others for the same day! :)
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby kushrocks » Mon May 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Ill be hitting the trailhead Saturday morning. What time is everyone starting?
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Next