Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering weather

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Spring Gathering weather

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 7:54 am

The extended forecast for next weekend is looking pretty favorable at the moment. Looks like there's going to be a 10% chance of precip Friday through Sunday. Feel free to refer to this thread during the week if you want to keep a watch on the weather.

Pinpoint forecast for the proposed campsite

BelOx/Missouri area (using Oxford's pinpoint forecast since it has the highest elevation point of reference)

Huron Peak

La Plata Peak

Mt. Hope

Re: Spring Gathering weather

Postby tmathews » Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 am

Pinpoint forecast for the proposed campsite

BTW, this shows the approximate location of the turnoff for the campsite: CR 390 campsite location

Postby kushrocks » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Im probably looking at going up Missouri if anyone is interested depending on weather and snow conditions. Looking forward to drinking a beer or 10 with everyone Saturday night. I should be at the campsite around 6pm if anyone else will be there by then.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby tmathews » Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 am

If you haven't seen the forecast for this weekend -- it's looking great! Even the highest pinpoint forecast (13,668 ft. for Oxford) is calling for a high of 41 degrees on Saturday.

Postby dmccool » Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 am

WooooooHooooooo!
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby hberry » Wed May 04, 2011 9:37 am

tmathews wrote:If you haven't seen the forecast for this weekend -- it's looking great! Even the highest pinpoint forecast (13,668 ft. for Oxford) is calling for a high of 41 degrees on Saturday.

This means those skiing (me) will have their asses out of bed very early Saturday AM

Postby Bean » Wed May 04, 2011 9:52 am

My other plans have changed due to the weather, not sure if I want to deal with the threat of that kind of heat that early. At least it's supposed to be breezy.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby bergsteigen » Wed May 04, 2011 10:34 am

hberry wrote:
tmathews wrote:If you haven't seen the forecast for this weekend -- it's looking great! Even the highest pinpoint forecast (13,668 ft. for Oxford) is calling for a high of 41 degrees on Saturday.

This means those skiing (me) will have their asses out of bed very early Saturday AM

This also applies to anyone up there on 30+ deg slopes (ie snowshoers and glissaders). It's a winter layer-cake snowpack getting baked. If you don't summit and descend early, you may be in trouble!

Be sure to check out the CAIC website: http://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_state_avo.php
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby speth » Wed May 04, 2011 10:38 am

tmathews wrote:Pinpoint forecast for the proposed campsite

BTW, this shows the approximate location of the turnoff for the campsite: CR 390 campsite location

Cool, thanks for the map.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 am

tmathews wrote:Pinpoint forecast for the proposed campsite

The entrance might be a few hundred yard before getting to the switchback. In the photo you can see a network of roads in the trees along with a vehicle and a red square. That looks like where we were before. It's not a very far walk to the MO trailhead if you don't feel like starting your vehicle in the morning or want to save the spot.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed May 04, 2011 11:58 am

hberry wrote:

Bean wrote:My other plans have changed due to the weather, not sure if I want to deal with the threat of that kind of heat that early. At least it's supposed to be breezy.

Ditto. Climbing. Anyone care to join, pm. 75 degrees in the Platte. (This might be the melt-down we need to finally start getting some of this snowpack isothermal.)

Postby tmathews » Thu May 05, 2011 9:04 am

The forecast continues to update. It looks like it's going to be pretty windy up above 12K on Sunday.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. Windy, with a west wind between 25 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.

Next