Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yet another Spring Gathering thread (carpools, new poll)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Which day(s) do you plan on attending the 2011 Spring Gathering (Winfield area, 5/7-5/8)

Saturday (day trip)
4%
Sunday (day trip)
4%
Overnight Friday and Saturday, leave on Sunday
54%
Overnight Friday, leave on Saturday
29%
Overnight Saturday, leave on Sunday
11%

Total votes : 28

Re: Yet another Spring Gathering thread (carpools, new poll)

Postby tmathews » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:25 am

A 2WD car will likely make it to the campsite. Cars regularly make it to the Missouri Gulch TH and out to Winfield in the summer.

I think that Keith's suggestion of the site that was used a couple years ago will probably work best to accommodate the number of overnighters that are expected. The Missouri Gulch Trailhead is about 7.5 miles from Hwy 24. The campsite is right before the TH; if you drive up a couple of switchbacks in the road, you've gone too far. I can't recall, but I think it will be kind of off to the left as you drive toward the first switchback. Someone else can chime-in if this is incorrect. Bill (wildlobo71) is bringing a 14ers.com banner on Friday afternoon, so that will make the site easier to spot.

Postby speth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for the confirmation on taking a 2wd, Terry. Is this dispersed camping or is there a 'real' campsite there? Just wanting to know what I'm looking for.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby tmathews » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

speth wrote:Thanks for the confirmation on taking a 2wd, Terry. Is this dispersed camping or is there a 'real' campsite there? Just wanting to know what I'm looking for.

I don't think it's an official NFS campsite, so there are no grills or lots. It's just dispersed. There may be fire rings/pits, though. It's used quite a bit in the summer.

One week to go!

Postby kushrocks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:41 am

As long as Im not chasing that weekend I will for sure be in. Sounds like an awesome time. I could be talked into Missouri or Belford/Oxford depending on Snow conditions. I was up in the area on Saturday 4/23 to attempt La Plata and even with snow shoes we were sinking down to our waists almost every step and had to turn around after less than a mile . . . . . ](*,) It sucked something aweful. Either way some camping . . . and drinking with fellow 14ers members sounds awesome to me. PRAY FOR SNOW MELT!!!
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:33 am

It is on the left, just before a couple switchbacks that go up a hill, shortly before the Missouri Trailhead. There are a few braded roads through the trees, with usage clearings for several tents. The area is big enough there were other campers using part of it at the last gathering without it feeling like a conflict. Perhaps the first arrivals could put some sign at the entrance. Many things could work – balloons, orange construction tape, a paper plate with a 14ers.com sticker, etc.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby LTbear » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I realize I'm late, but is anyone up for carpooling and either staying Friday night and leaving after the climb, or driving early Saturday and coming back? I can drive and have room for one, or can pay my half of gas for anyone with a better/ nicer/ more comfy car.

Postby CVV15er » Sun May 01, 2011 1:31 pm

You're not late at all in my book. I've just figured out that I can go for sure on Saturday. I definitely want to carpool, and I'm game for either of your options (Friday evening or early Sat). If I drive, I can fit 4 comfortably. I'm throwing this up here in case anyone else is "late" in their planning and wants to join. Send me a PM and we can hash out the details.

Postby RockyRoad » Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 pm

LTbear wrote:I realize I'm late, but is anyone up for carpooling and either staying Friday night and leaving after the climb, or driving early Saturday and coming back? I can drive and have room for one, or can pay my half of gas for anyone with a better/ nicer/ more comfy car.

Hey LT, those are my plans. I'm definitely looking to carpool, and return back to Denver area after the climb on Saturday. I'll PM you for details.

Not sure of that Baylor flag though, since I went to another college in Texas... :P

CVV, are you looking to come back on Saturday after the climb?
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." -William Blake

Postby trailsntales » Tue May 03, 2011 1:17 am

I'm pretty sure that I will go, pulling gear together. Friday through Saturday.

Previous