Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yet another Spring Gathering thread (carpools, new poll)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Which day(s) do you plan on attending the 2011 Spring Gathering (Winfield area, 5/7-5/8)

Saturday (day trip)
4%
Sunday (day trip)
4%
Overnight Friday and Saturday, leave on Sunday
54%
Overnight Friday, leave on Saturday
29%
Overnight Saturday, leave on Sunday
11%

Total votes : 28

Yet another Spring Gathering thread (carpools, new poll)

Postby tmathews » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 am

If you haven't already indicated whether you're going to be attending the 2011 Spring Gathering, please do so in this thread. It looks like we have the potential for a pretty big turnout (and the numbers in that thread don't indicate +1's, +2's, etc.).

I just wanted to start another thread so people who may want/need rides or would like to arrange carpools to and from the Gathering can coordinate their efforts. Tent (if you have room) and equipment sharing, too . Also -- please answer the new poll.
Last edited by tmathews on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Yet another Spring Gathering thread (carpools, new poll)

Postby gonzalj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 am

Unfortunately I can't leave till Saturday mid morning as I have a commitment that I have to take care of before I leave, but will be leaving by myself Saturday from Littleton and drive a Honda Ridgeline, so if anyone wants to carpool, just PM me.

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:06 am

Still in for overnights Friday and Saturday. Plan on attempting Missouri Mountain's North Face Couloirs and Mt. Hope's Hopeful Couloir. I'm pretty sure dmccool will be joining me for both climbs, but anyone else is welcome to tag along, as well.

So far I have no carpool arrangements from Denver, and I'd like to set something up. I work in Littleton, live in Cap Hill. Could be ready to go as early as 4 p.m. Friday.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby d_baker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Carson and I will be camping somewhere along HWY 82 Friday night for our climb on Saturday. Saturday afternoon/evening I'll meet up with the gathering, and camp another night for a Sunday climb.
I'll be driving seperately though, because I'll be driving back to Avon from the Sawatch.
Therefore, I won't be carpooling.

-Darin

Postby doggler » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Bummer.

The Collegiate Peaks 50-miler is on Saturday the 7th in and around Buena Vista. I'll be near Winfield, but unable to participate in the festivities.

Besides, I haven't gotten new pants since the fall gathering.

Postby tmathews » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 pm

doggler wrote:Bummer.

The Collegiate Peaks 50-miler is on Saturday the 7th in and around Buena Vista. I'll be near, but unable to participate.

Hah! I haven't gotten new dignity since the Fall Gathering. :wink:

You should stop through camp afterward on Saturday (or pull-up a tent if you're too tired to drive back to the Springs).

Postby dmccool » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:Still in for overnights Friday and Saturday. Plan on attempting Missouri Mountain's North Face Couloirs and Mt. Hope's Hopeful Couloir. I'm pretty sure dmccool will be joining me for both climbs, but anyone else is welcome to tag along, as well.

"He who heard hooves" speaks the truth.

I am interested in sharing rides from the Springs. I have a Tundra and can take up to 4 total (or I can ride with someone and split gas). I'm also thinking of leaving the Springs between 2-3:30pm on Friday, May 6.

Dan
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby doggler » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Oh, I already plan on being too tired to drive back. Although you have planted in my head the idea of trying to climb something the day after the race...oh, the pain. I'll mark Sunday day trip for now.

tmathews wrote:
doggler wrote:Bummer.

The Collegiate Peaks 50-miler is on Saturday the 7th in and around Buena Vista. I'll be near, but unable to participate.

Hah! I haven't gotten new dignity since the Fall Gathering. :wink:

You should stop through camp afterward on Saturday (or pull-up a tent if you're too tired to drive back to the Springs).

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I may be hoofing in for this on Friday night to hike Missouri on Saturday then departing, would be leaving from Golden at 4:30 if I go...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Marmot72 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I have not been to a gathering yet in the three or four years I've been on this site, so I'm looking forward to this. I'm in the Denver area and will leave Friday to hike Iowa & Emerald on Sat, then Hope on Sunday am to leave in the early afternoon.

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for seeking the path of most resistance.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:20 pm

I'll be leaving Denver on Friday after work (which means, hopefully, somewhere early afternoon) so I can get to camp with lots of light on Friday night; camp thru to Sunday then depart. I've got a 4D Jeep Wrangler that can handle some occupancy.

Terry, you planning on assembling at the meadow across the creek south of Winfield or the more secluded camping spots just east of the switchback before the Missouri Gulch TH? I'll bring my 14ers.com banner as long as Kansas isn't coming.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby tmathews » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:28 pm

LOL, Darrin's going to be there. :wink:

I dunno. If as many people show as are indicated in the other thread, we may need to occupy more than one site. I think the one before Missouri Gulch will probably be more melted out by then. I hope we can at least get to the Winfield site for those who may want to try Huron/Browns Peak/etc. The last Missouri Gulch TH update says that people can get about 8 miles up the road without 4WD which leaves about 4 miles of road left. Hopefully, a lot more will melt out in the next two weeks.

Next