Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

April 20th - 22nd

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: April 20th - 22nd

Postby JDip » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm

I'll actually be right in that area next week. Taking a week off
of work to go bike, fish, and hike that area. I'm up for hiking those places for sure.

Postby dmccool » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 pm

MountainFever wrote:So I have an Idea if your interested...

Tuesday Looks like Kit Carson and Challenger share a saddle? so we could hike to Challenger and over to Kit carson Drive to spanish creek trail head after for Humbolt and camp Round trip is 14 miles and 6,250 feet
Wed Hike Humbolt Round trip would be 12.25 miles and 4,200 feet elevation gain
Thursday we could check out the sand dunes in the morning and start heading back...depending on what way we go we could stop in Buena Vista...camp and hike maybe Shavano? I've hiked that like 3 or 4 times but haven't hiked it with snow...I know an awesome small valley surrounded by aspen trees not that they are blooming but would still be aweosme to camp in right at the trail head
Friday if we want we could hike Shavano? Round trip would be 9.25 miles and 4,600 feet elevation gain.

Just a thought...

:shock:
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby JDip » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 pm

That sounds like a hell of a walk but I'm down for sure! I'm looking for a better sleeping bag before
Monday.
Call or text anytime at 303-472-0789 or 720-285-0416, but
please try the latter first as this is my personal cell.
Looking forward to it!

Postby sevenvii » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:28 am

You are off about a thousand feet of elevation for Humboldt. I just did this 2 weeks ago and you cannot make it to the rainbow trailhead with your vehicle, so you have to start down low at the parking area. Elevation gain from this point is 5650 and roundtrip is about 13 miles. Its a long day, but sill had a good time. I will keep checking in, I am looking for something to do on Thursday the 22nd, but that appears to be a rest day for you guys, post if your plans change :)

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:16 pm

sevenvii wrote:You are off about a thousand feet of elevation for Humboldt. I just did this 2 weeks ago and you cannot make it to the rainbow trailhead with your vehicle, so you have to start down low at the parking area.

Road is passable well beyond the lower TH and has been for a couple weeks. Can get at least 700 vert and about 1.5 miles.

Postby sevenvii » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Oh, I meant if you wanted to park legally unless the conditions have changed a lot. There was no way you are getting anything besides an ATV or a very non stock vehicle past 1.2 miles up on 4/2/2011. You can park around that point, but its illegal anywhere past the cattle guard down low, until you re-enter the San Isabel forest again. Now granted there were 2 vehicles that day with 14ers.com stickers on them that did park illegally ](*,)

Perhaps in last 16 days the conditions have improved enough to where you can re-enter the forest, I just assumed that it had not and noticed nothing else in the update for the TH status since my last post on the 2nd.