Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

* Sunday Quandary Climb & Ski welcome *

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

* Sunday Quandary Climb & Ski welcome *

Postby nomadelmundo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Been wanting and planning a long time looks like it will finally happen this Sunday the 16th, I found a buddy who will climb up and be the point man and ski down Quandary with me.
Any other are welcome to join our crusade.
Our plan is to leave Colorado Springs area and hit to the TH and sleep in the SUV or tent and head out 5-6am before sunrise to make to summit before 11am and then ski down.

Question:

Which route is better this time of the year?
South Gully aka Cristo Couloir or the standart East approach? & Does anyone know how far we can drive up to the TH at either locations?

Since this is my first climb/ski, I have included my equipment check list: (let me know if I need to include anything else in the backpack)
snow shoes
ice axe
helmet
krampons
water 2L (corrected)
ski poles/skis/boots
goggles, face mask, hat
gps
avalanche beacon + PROBE (added)
flint
snacks
waterproof snow boots / gaiters
change of clothing
camera
head torch
backpack

approx weight on back 40-45 lbs.

thanks! PM me if interested in joining us!
Last edited by nomadelmundo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Re: * Sunday Quandary Climb & Ski welcome *

Postby Peakjumper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:22 pm

The trailhead/parking for the East approach is right off the road I was there last sunday. I would probably bring a little more than 1 litre of water but that is just me. And do you have a shovel and probe? Just a beacon ain't gonna save a life. The snow was very hard under a thin layer of powder the day I was there and no sun so it never softened. You probably would only need the crampons if you did the couloir and might not if the snow is softer.

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:45 pm

I would say if this is your first descent then just hit the East ridge. You can cut down on some of your gear with that option. I agree with the above post, just having a beacon isn't enough avy equipment. The east bowl is a fairly straight forward descent, just don't end up in the lower bowl (around tree line) this bowl has slid many times in the past.

I'm not sure what you are doing with snowshoes though. I assume you are on an alpine setup? If so look into renting an AT setup and avy equipment (I think they have avy gear for rent) at Mountain Chalet in the Springs. This would save you a ton of weight and equipment that you have listed. Bring more water than 1liter. Good luck and be SAFE.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby COBuckeye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:08 am

We skiied Quandary 4 weeks ago and at that point the Cristo was too thin to ski. The east ridge held snow from the car to the summit and we were able to skin the entire ridge (ie. not that steep). The upper east face (at 25deg slope) was relatively unreactive, but thin as well (my skis have the scars to prove it). I am sure the mountain has gotten more snow in the past 4 weeks, but also take into consideration wind loading, melt/freeze cycles, time of day, etc.

As for parking, the parking for the east ridge route is probably only a few hundred yards from the summer TH. The parking for the Cristo is most definitely still blocked about 1.5-2miles from the dam (start of the coulior) by a 10ft high wall of snow built by plows that service the road for the residents. Hope this helps.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Peakjumper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to add that on Sunday we had and wore snowshoes but didn't really need them the snow stayed pretty solid all morning. That said the weather is looking warmer this weekend so if your not on a at setup then you will definatley want an early start before the snow softens. I think if you do the east route you could get away without the crampons and snowshoes.

Postby nomadelmundo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 pm

thanks for all the info 14ers!
yes, my bladder is 2liters not 1, so we are good there
got a probe today... man Mtn Chalet charges you an arm and leg for a metal stick that's pretty much like your tent poles! ... but getting out your wingman from an avalanche, priceless, right?
we'll take the EAST route, looks like more the standard and safer approach... any good camp sites near the EAST TH?

anyone wanna join us? :-"

Postby dustysdad » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Avy gear is good to take. But be sure you know how to use it. If a member of your team is buried, that's not the time to try to figure out how to use a beacon to locate them. Practice is critical. Good idea to take turns burying (and finding) a beacon every time you're out; it'll help keep you sharp.

Postby Peakjumper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:57 am

Not sure on the camping there is still a few feet of snow previous to this last storm everywhere so be ready to get wet if camping. On the main page click on quandry and look for maps, there is some private property around there. Have fun and be safe.

Postby nomadelmundo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:07 pm

excellent Fletch! my husky will be climbing this one too! see ya up there! \:D/

Postby jmibarra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:31 pm

make sure to check avy conditions in the Cristo if you plan to ski. we went up for an attempt yesterday morning to try and climb and ski the chute and were greeted with about 30mph winds near the base at the dam. wind was howling down the valley and there was probably up to at least 4-6in of new snow from the storm so we saw alot of cross-loading going on. be weary of freshly loaded wind-slabs up there. due to the winds we opted to bail on our attempt and skiied some abay sidecountry instead. its been a very windy couple of days! be careful out there and have fun!!
The goal isn't ski the mountains, nor to climb the mountains. Rather the goal is to be admitted by the mountain, to become one, to coexist. In those moments you will find peace, you will find happiness. In those moments you will find your reward.

Postby jimmtman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Has anyone climbed up the Cristo Couloir recently? I'd like to do it solo when it is fully consolidated with low/no slide risk and when in good condition for crampons. It sounds from this thread that it may be a few more weeks before it is in prime condition.

Thanks!

Jim