Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

West Spanish Peak (south CO off I25)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

West Spanish Peak (south CO off I25)

Postby mikefromcraig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Hello, I live in Trinidad, CO now and I want to climb West Spanish Peak. It's 13,600something. Hardly any snow still on it and more hot days ahead.

I really don't know much about the difficulty because it is too small to be in Roach's thirteeners guidebook but I have seen brochures that talk about hiking it so I doubt it's that technical.

I'd be able to do a weekday or weekend. Send me a message and let me know.

-Mike

Re: West Spanish Peak (south CO off I25)

Postby Presto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 pm

As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby mennoguy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

It's a class 2 hike all the way to the summit. Check out Bob Martin and Mike Garratt's book "Colorado's High Thirteeners" it has route descriptions of the bicentennial peaks.

How does the rest of the Culebra range look, specifically the northern section which is still in NF land. I may be interested in going down there the last week of April on a Wednesday and Thursday 27th and 28th if my schedule works out.

Aaron

Postby mikefromcraig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 pm

mennoguy wrote:It's a class 2 hike all the way to the summit. Check out Bob Martin and Mike Garratt's book "Colorado's High Thirteeners" it has route descriptions of the bicentennial peaks.

How does the rest of the Culebra range look, specifically the northern section which is still in NF land. I may be interested in going down there the last week of April on a Wednesday and Thursday 27th and 28th if my schedule works out.

Aaron

Thanks for the book recommendation.

I assume you are talking about the two or three peaks that are north of Culebra. I can see them from my window and there's not that much snow on them although they did get some a few days ago. It's starting to get pretty hot down here so should be even better at the end of the month. Those would have to be thirteeners right? They only list red mountain in my guidebook although they list a ton of other sub 13,800 ft thirteeners in the other maps.

-Mike

Postby sgladbach » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Wahatoya- "The Breasts of the Earth." The view from Pueblo is definitely more reminiscent of Boobage than "The Grand Tetons" BTW- Why are there THREE Tetons!!??

Also, as a geology major at the Missouri School of mines (Rolla, MO), the Spanish Peaks were, quite literally, the textbook example of Radial Dikes. An igneous lift of a dried out sedimentary ocean bed causes cracks which are filled in by the newer , harder, cooled rock. When the sedimentary portion erodes, walls of igneous rock, called dikes, are left behind. They radiate from the summit of the West Spanish Peak like the spokes of a wheel. as you drive around the mountains (after the snow melts) the road is cut through a few of these walls. Also, there is a town named Stonewall at the base of one of the long walls extending NW from the West Peak.

This site has some cool history, geology: http://www.sangres.com/mountains/spanpks/

More to your point: I've taken several high school students from Pueblo to the summit of the West Peak for their first peak ever. Class 2.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby mikefromcraig » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:10 pm

ok, I'm going this Saturday 4/16. It looks like the high will be 70 at the base for the day. I'm looking at it right now and I bet you could do the whole thing with only taking a few steps in snow.

It's a short hike so I probably won't start until around 7:30am. I have a meeting at 1pm so I'll be in a hurry.

Send me a message if you are interested.

-Mike

Postby PKelley » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 pm

There are a number of spectacular bristle cone pine trees up there. Have fun.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby kaiman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:41 pm

mikefromcraig wrote:ok, I'm going this Saturday 4/16. It looks like the high will be 70 at the base for the day. I'm looking at it right now and I bet you could do the whole thing with only taking a few steps in snow.

It's a short hike so I probably won't start until around 7:30am. I have a meeting at 1pm so I'll be in a hurry.

Send me a message if you are interested.

-Mike

@mikefromcraig - If you get a chance to post an update after your climb tomorrow I would really appreciate it. I just looked at a webcam from the area and you're right, there is hardly any snow... I may just have to venture down there next week. :D

Thanks,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby denvermikey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Ditto! Please post conditions. I may try next week as well. Thanks.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby mikefromcraig » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 pm

I'll try and keep this brief.

I got stuck less than 1 mile from trailhead. I'm pretty familiar with the road because it took me 3 attempts of going back up there to get my car out. If you want to do it next weekend just keep driving until you are about 1 mile (or maybe a little more) away from the trailhead. There you will see a campsite to your right real close to the road. You will also see the top of an abandoned falling apart building right on the other side of the campsite. PARK YOUR CAR HERE. Even if you have a great 4wheel drive with snow tires and chains. You could go further in the morning (as I did) and even if you make it further than I did you won't be able to make it back down when the snow on the road starts getting soft around 10am. The 4wheel drive dually tow truck with chains couldn't even get (at noon) to where my forester got to that morning.

Oh, and FYI about 5 miles from the TH it says "road closed."

It looks like the area might get some rain tonight 30% chance or Saturday 30% chance.

Knowing where to stop now I'd love to go back up as long as they don't get any percipitation.