Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Angel of Shavano 4/16

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Angel of Shavano 4/16

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 am

Hi everyone,

Myself and two or three others are planning on hitting the Angel on Saturday, April 16. Conditions permitting, as always. Anyone is welcome to tag along. Everyone I've talked to thus far lives in Denver.

-Jeff
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Angel of Shavano 4/16

Postby ChrisinAZ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:34 am

I'm still in.

What do people think about adding Taby while we're up there? The traverse looks pretty easy...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Adding Tabeguache might make for a really long day, especially in April snow conditions. I guess it's one of those things we'll decide once we're on top. I personally was only planning for Shavano this go-around.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 am

Bump in case anyone else is interested. A small group of us is still going. The plan is to drive down Friday night and car-camp for a pre-dawn start Saturday morning. The early forecast looks stellar...hope it holds!

If anyone has a recent update to the conditions on the Angel or the approach road, I'd love to hear it.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby carter86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:05 am

Hey! Me, along with 2 others, are flying in Friday night and also heading to the Shavano trailhead. Our goal is to somehow spend Fri-Monday in the area and summit both Shavano and Tabaguache. It looks like it will just be your group and ours....

Were toying with the idea of camping just off the south ridge of the shavano/Tab saddle. Anyway, any idea if 252 is clear of snow??

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Here's the most recent info I can find regarding 252: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29274

My group will probably just camp where we park because I don't think we'll get there until well after dark. Are you guys aiming for the Angel or the standard route? There's some talk about trying for Tab as well, I guess it'll be one of those things we decide on top of Shavano.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby carter86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Right now we want to be at the shavano/Angel TH by midnight on Friday. Wake up saturday early and go up the angel, summit shavano, THEN...if at all possible....we want to camp somewhere between the two peaks. If this works, then we may get a chance at a sunrise summit of Tab on Sunday morning.

I'm not sure if too many people have tried to set up a tent there because of the wind....but we may just give it a shot!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

I am also kicking around the idea of climbing / skiing the Angel on the 16th with a couple of friends, have any of you heard any updates on conditions?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

The latest update I can find is from two weeks ago. Still deciding which TH to aim for, so something more recent would definitely be welcome. I'll call the Forest Service later in the week if no one has chimed in.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby ChrisinAZ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:01 pm

I'd recommend against camping on the Shav/Taby saddle. While I don't know much about general conditions on that particular saddle, you're all-but-guaranteed to be subjected to insane winds there or on any high saddle. Wind speeds in saddles are often worse than summits, I've found, especially in the colder months...consider the subpeaks N and E of Shav's summit, or perhaps the flat area in the gully NE of the summit if you can manage the downclimb. In any case, I'd have a backup plan for camping somewhere much lower.

I'll probably bring my Wal-mart-esque 3-season...it can comfortably sleep two, maybe three but it'd be a squeeze.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby tommycli » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm down to go. I'm in Littleton. Would you wanna carpool/split gas? My car's not very suitable for mountain driving...

Postby mikefromcraig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:09 am

I'd definitely be intersted but only if we were going to try Shavano AND Tabeguache on Saturday. Looks like it will be in the low 20's at the trailheads Friday night. If new weather updates look like it will get below 20 I'll probably get a cheap hotel if anyone wants to split it (and if you are sure you don't snore!).

I'll keep checking this thread for weather and trip plan updates.

If it still looks good later in the week I'll exchange numbers.

-Mike

Next