Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing Democrat/Decalibron April 2nd

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Climbing Democrat/Decalibron April 2nd

Postby ebnhils » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 am

How safe is the Decalibron route, I see they got a lot of snow the last couple of days and more is in the forcast. I have not done much winter 14ers and want to stay out of avy areas, so is there a safe route? I would also like to get to South Bross if possible. I can get out one day this weekend and trying to decide if I want to ski A-basin on Fryday or hike Saturday, so if the danger is going to be high I may just go ski.
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby Gueza » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:02 pm

ebnhils wrote:How safe is the Decalibron route, I see they got a lot of snow the last couple of days and more is in the forcast. I have not done much winter 14ers and want to stay out of avy areas, so is there a safe route? I would also like to get to South Bross if possible. I can get out one day this weekend and trying to decide if I want to ski A-basin on Fryday or hike Saturday, so if the danger is going to be high I may just go ski.

We'll have to see what the weather does. We can see what CAIC has to says, I plan on limiting my exposure to avy terrain with good route selection. Pits, observations, and reports will be handy but we really won't know until later in the week (or when we get up there) if the conditions are right. Not sure if I'm 100% in for this one.

~Eric
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby ebnhils » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks Eric but I am also wondering about the route in general, how is the avy danger, high, low, none at all. I know that after you climb Democrat and hike the ridge to the other peaks it should be ok, just don't know about getting up Democrat and back down safely. If the route has alot of danger areas to avoid I may think about trying the weekend after, stay home and do somthing with the family.

Eben

Postby Rastaman566 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:02 am

ebnhils wrote:Thanks Eric but I am also wondering about the route in general, how is the avy danger, high, low, none at all. I know that after you climb Democrat and hike the ridge to the other peaks it should be ok, just don't know about getting up Democrat and back down safely. If the route has alot of danger areas to avoid I may think about trying the weekend after, stay home and do somthing with the family.

Eben

I've been looking closely at this one. This is normally considered a safe winter climb, but as you mentioned, ascending Democrat and descending Bross are going to be the dangerous spots with the new snow accumulation. After looking at the route and pictures of the mtn, it looks like we'd be relatively safe on the Democrat ascent once at about 12,800 ft, but it's the 12,200-12,800 portion just to the NW of Kite Lake that I don't like. I've got a couple ideas on how to get around this, but it's hard to say if they'd work without seeing the current conditions. For Bross, if we were to hit up S. Bross and continue heading south on the ridge, we'd have all of that south ridge to find a spot to drop down on the west side towards T/H. I'm fairly certain we'd find a safe line along there somewhere, so that doesn't worry me as much.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Planning on doing this next weekend, any beta or a TR when you get back would be awesome! Thank you and Good luck!
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby globreal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:06 am

I'm out for tomorrow, I've got to work.

Postby Rastaman566 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:24 am

Anybody still in for Sunday? PM me.

Postby ChrisFol » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am

Rastaman566 wrote:Anybody still in for Sunday? PM me.

PM on its way.
-Chris

Postby ebnhils » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 pm

I decided to stay down this way and go rock climbing or a local hike, maybe I'll try for next weekend.

Postby jagiammaria » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm also not going to make it this weekend. Too many other things planned unfortunately

PreviousNext