Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Challenger/Kit Carson early next week

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Challenger/Kit Carson early next week

Postby tmathews » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Still in NC, here. I wanted to head up last weekend, but the wind forecast was atrocious and I didn't want to have a 12-15 hour day and then have to fly out early the next morning. If I'm so inclined, I may try and head up this weekend. My objective would be to climb Kirk and probably descend Challenger's standard route depending on how everything looks. Hope everyone enjoyed Colorado this Monday. I'm already homesick. :(

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey guys,

I was up there on Friday April 1st. Snow was not a problem until 10,800 ft. From this point on snow was continuous. Early (5am) you can travel well with snow shoes or skis. This was the warm week end. I made it to 13,400 on the standard route. When I got to the final couloir to Challenger I found a 6" hard slab on top of about 18" of rotten facets and I bailed. The trip down was a nightmare. I was post holing to my hips with snow shoes on. From about 11,800 to 10,800 i was dealing with completely unconsolidated snow. From there on conditions were normal.

I'm not very experienced on Colorado snow but I would have to say this is a bad snow pack for traveling or with regard to avy danger. All this could change with some cold weather but I am going to wait til someone tells me things are a lot better.

Nelson

Postby Joe W » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Nelson
Do you have pictures of Challenger North slopes?
Joe

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 am

I have some picts I will put up soon.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:32 pm

My photos of the North face and Lake are in the "conditions" section:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=183

Nelson

Postby Joe W » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm