Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pikes on Wed (3/23)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Pikes on Wed (3/23)

Postby tmathews » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:40 pm

While I'm waiting to start my new job, I think I'd like to get out on Wednesday and attempt to summit Pikes via The Crags since it's relatively local to me. Anyone off this week for Spring Break or have that day off of work? I don't mind doing this solo, but company is always nice.

Re: Pikes on Wed (3/23)

Postby oldschool » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Just sent you PM........sounds like a plan!
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby tmathews » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 am

anna wrote:What time are you planning on starting? Weather in the Sangres is looking mighty tempting, but if I decide to stay closer to home, I might consider joining you.

Not too early. I'm thinking around 7:00. I'm hoping the summit house will be open by the time we reach the summit so I can grab a half-dozen donuts. Looks like Mike (oldschool) will be joining me at this point, but you're welcome to come as well!

Postby oldschool » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:42 am

Looks good to go for you Terry? I'm west of the divide so as soon as you think it's a go on Pikes drop me a PM or call me so I can get on my way to Pikes. Thx
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby tmathews » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 am

oldschool wrote:Looks good to go for you Terry? I'm west of the divide so as soon as you think it's a go on Pikes drop me a PM or call me so I can get on my way to Pikes. Thx

Yeah, I think so, Mike. I haven't heard anything from my employer yet about getting me started tomorrow, so I'll say this is a go. Sorry -- I thought you might be on this side of the Divide vacationing this week or something. That's gonna be a long haul for you! :shock:

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 am

Mike was in a car accident last night while driving over Vail Pass. I spoke to him around 10:00. Thankfully, he is okay, but needs to get a couple tires replaced before heading back to Grand Junction.

I'll be heading up solo.

Postby dmccool » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Looks like you have incredible weather today, Terry. How were the winds?
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby Chipper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

dmccool wrote:Looks like you have incredible weather today, Terry. How were the winds?

Yes, please post walking conditions when you're back at your computer. We're planning for the weekend.
In fact, doesn't that constitute total trip time ... computer off to computer back on?
Thanks,
Collin
We make no greater mistake than when we do nothing, because we could only do a little.

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Bluebird! I don't think I had a wind gust over 15-20 MPH all day! Summit House was closed, but the road was open.

OK, first things first -- the road to the parking area after the Mennonite Camp is icy. I can see a lot of people getting stuck and a 4WD or AWD is highly recommended. Bring a shovel so you can shovel some dirt/gravel underneath your tires if you do get stuck.

The trail right out of the trailhead is icy going uphill. Once it levels out and heads toward the Crags trail, it's fine. The trail from the intersection with the Crags trail is significantly boot-packed and is slick in some areas. I actually didn't use any traction at all on the way up. Snowshoes are definitely not needed. As the trail enters the switchbacks as you head up toward Devil's Playground, it is hard boot-pack and icy in spots. Above treeline, I actually lost the trail and ended up going way over to the hiker's left. It was an easy fix once I realized where I was. From Devil's Playground on, the trail was hard-packed mixed with bare ground. The summit pitch was slick and icy in spots; I wore Micro-spikes on my way down from the summit. I also wore spikes from Devil's Playground all the way to the trailhead, but it was kind of an annoyance because I had to stop like every 5 minutes to kick the snow balls off.

Postby dmccool » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Solid day, Terry. Congrats. Did you see me? I was waving from down in the Springs.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby EmmaM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Wow. Given the fierce winds in Fairplay and substantial blowing snow covering the Mosquitos, I kept wondering how bad Pike's would've been today. Nevertheless, it's nice to see that you had a perfect day and the winds were in your favor!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Congrats, Terry.

All us lazy climbers did was bask in the sun on the red rocks this afternoon... :D

Next