Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Elbert-East Ridge Route-Sunday 3/20

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Mt. Elbert-East Ridge Route-Sunday 3/20

Postby Rastaman566 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm planning on doing the east ridge route of Elbert this sunday. I'll be leaving from Colorado Springs very early, weather looks favorable for now. I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing a ski descent or not. If your interested and want to tag along, let me know. Also, if anyone has any trail conditions that haven't been posted yet, hit me up. I'd like to know if anyone's been up there recently.

Re: Mt. Elbert-East Ridge Route-Sunday 3/20

Postby oldschool » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I will go with you. I can meet you at the trailhead...I am coming from Junction. What time at the trailhead? PM me.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby MarkLesiw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:06 am

I'd like to join as well. What time are you meeting at the trail head? I'm coming from Boulder through Frisco.

Are you guys going to ski or snowshoe?

Postby MtHurd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Is the East Ridge Route the same as the South Mt. Elbert Route on SummitPost? If it is, you may not need snowshoes. We didn't last Saturday.

Postby MarkLesiw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Barry Raven,

Are you talking about this one? http://www.summitpost.org/south-mt-elbert-trail/322285

Yes, that's the same one. I think they're calling it the South route because it starts at the South Mt Elbert TH.

That's great news about not needing snowshoes! Is that because the snow was packed down, or because the snow has melted?
Is it pretty easy to stay on trail?

What else can you tell us about the trip?

Thanks,
Mark

Postby Rastaman566 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Here's an update on the plans. Three people have contacted me so far to go up on Sunday morning. We're going to try and leave the TH (South Trail Head to the East Ridge) by 5 am. Barry told me that parking was 2 miles from the 4wd road which makes the trip about 11.5 mile round trip with 4950 elevation to cover. He told me it took him 11 hrs round trip, so the early start will help. I'll contact everyone interested on Saturday to finalize plans and updated weather conditions. -James

Postby slaggbottom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 pm

That looks like a great winter/spring route. Won't be able to make it this weekend, but thanks for putting the idea in my head to focus on. I've wanted to climb Elbert via the East Ridge, and since I don't have a 4x4 vehicle anyway, might as well go when the road is snow covered...

Looks like you might have some fresh powder from tonight's storm. Good luck!
-matt
My Trip Reports: http://matt.tracz.org

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey fellas,
Do you mind if I join you tomorrow? I live in Denver and I see that mark Lewis you are in Boulder, maybe we ought to carpool seeing how gases prices are pretty high. Tell me what you guys think. I am in pretty good shape and venture into the mountains quite often so you won't have a beginner anchoring you down.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby MtHurd » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 pm

MarkLesiw wrote:Barry Raven,

Are you talking about this one? http://www.summitpost.org/south-mt-elbert-trail/322285

Yes, that's the same one. I think they're calling it the South route because it starts at the South Mt Elbert TH.

That's great news about not needing snowshoes! Is that because the snow was packed down, or because the snow has melted?
Is it pretty easy to stay on trail?

What else can you tell us about the trip?

Thanks,
Mark

There is continuous snow all the way to timberline, anywhere from 1 to 3 feet deep. The trail was well traveled by those with snowshoes so the snow is hard packed enough that snowshoes aren't needed. That is if the weather stays cold enough. It might be a good idea to take snowshoes just in case if it warms up enough to soften the snow. There are places where you may fall through but it was minimal, not worth getting the snowshoes out. After timberline, the snow is off and on with tundra in between. We didn't have any problems ascending the snow without snowshoes or crampons.

Postby oldschool » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Was there today...super high winds. MY partner had a little doo-dad that measures wind speed....steady wind at 45mph with gusts to 54mph. Trail good.....no problems. Made the summit in 4:45 and down in 2:45.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby EmmaM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Was the trail well packed?
Did you use snowshoes or need any kind of traction?

Postby oldschool » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Took snowshoes...didn't use them on the ascent. Did use them down lower on the descent due to softening snow but prob could have left them in truck. Trail in great shape...wind blown in and lots of bullet hard snow!