Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need partner for Tues March 15

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Need partner for Tues March 15

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:19 am

Hey, looking to do a 14er on Tuesday the 15th.

On a wild whim I would consider skiing in to San Luis from the Stewart Creek approach (I do not have info on road closure, but believe it would be very long to get to the TH.)

More reasonable and likely possibilities include: Evans, Ellingwood, Lindsey, Massive (could include the traverse to N Massive or vice versa), Belford/Oxford, Missouri, Antero.

Jim

Edit: I changed this from "Monday or Tuesday" to Tuesday, due to better forecast. Also, strongly considering Massive - East Ridge. -Jim
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Need partner for Mon or Tues, March 14 or 15.

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 am

You could try San Luis from the Creede side, Jim. It's my understanding from Kiefer and Steph that the road to access West Willow Creek is plowed regularly. It might be safer, too, avy-wise, since it's approached from the west. It would take a lot longer to get there, though.

Re: Need partner for Mon or Tues, March 14 or 15.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm

tmathews wrote:You could try San Luis from the Creede side, Jim. It's my understanding from Kiefer and Steph that the road to access West Willow Creek is plowed regularly. It might be safer, too, avy-wise, since it's approached from the west. It would take a lot longer to get there, though.

10-4. Britt and I researched the Creede side extensively last year, as did Matt, Micah, and I late last winter. Here's my thoughts.

Gliding up Cochetopa Creek on nordic gear for a ridiculous number of miles is somehow appealing to my twisted sense of outdoor passion. Truth be told, it gains a gentle thousand verts over about 11 miles - has "nordic" written all over it. From the TH, it's steeper but still mellow, and back in the bowl, there are two north face lines - climber's right goes at 29 degrees max, and climbers left is a north ridge which is likely dry - good options, and certainly doable IMO. It's a class 1 in summer, and ever since seeing it last June I've wanted to do this in winter. Success would be highly dependent upon snow conditions - any wallowing on the approach would nix a summit bid. Nice spring-like firm conditions could be fast on nordic gear - reasonably in excess of 3mph uphill for the lion's share of the approach. Consider the quiet beauty of that area this time of year.

But as to the thread, I doubt anyone is going to join me on that sufferfest - Massive might be a much better option, for example. I just want a peak this week, and the San Luis nordic thing will happen when it's ready.

Re: Need partner for Tues March 15

Postby Bean » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 pm

I'll have to check my work calendar when I get in tomorrow but there's a good chance I can go do something. I could do the San Luis sufferfest since it sounds like it's in for a ski descent, though I wouldn't be on nordic gear. Massive could work too.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby BKS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm here in leadville getting readying to hike/climb/skin/ski on Tuesday with my youngest son. I was looking at Yale but I need Massive as well. Would be nice to go with someone more experienced than me.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks, Mike, for a great trip today on Mt. Massive. Really enjoyed it!

Jim

PS - Congrats on the summit ski descent today!