Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt Sherman - Saturday 3/12

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Mt Sherman - Saturday 3/12

Postby MarkLesiw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:50 pm

A group of 3 of us are going to give Mt. Sherman's SW Ridge a try from 4 Mile Creek. Would anyone like to join us?

After reading the thread from last week, it seems like an early start is smart. So we're thinking about 6-6:30. Weather looks pretty favorable at least not as windy as last weekend, and the CAIC report is good and getting better.

It would be great to have some more company on the climb.

Mark

Re: Mt Sherman - Saturday 3/12

Postby Artvandalay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I'd come but I'll be doing the Kite Lake 14ers. Good Luck on your attempt!

Brady
Hi. I like to go outside.

Postby kushrocks » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 am

How was the hike on Sherman on Saturday? I am thinking of going this Saturday. Any advice on the route and how far up you can get on the road would be great.

Thanks
Kushrocks
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby JosephG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Summited on Sunday, 3/13. Parking is about 1.5 miles before Leavick. Going past the winter closure would be foolish; it's well plowed up to that point, though.

We took the South Slopes route. Couldn't see the Sheridan-Sherman saddle due to low clouds, wind, and snow, but evidence of other cornices abounded, so I'd assume the Sheridan-Sherman saddle is boasting the same. We stayed slightly on the right (northeast) side of the gully near the White Ridge-Sherman saddle; a group that went on the left (northwest) side experienced some difficulty. There were several inches (4-6" and falling) of fresh snow from ~12,500 on up.
Last edited by JosephG on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Oldman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I was up there on Saturday last. I did the South Slopes Route. Saw others on the Ridge. Could have booted the whole way. The higher up, the more bullet proof the snow was. Snow varied from bullet proof, to breakable crust to shallow pockets of powder. Challenging skiing. On the way up, I even once thought about the crampons I left back in the car when I had some difficulty kicking through. I drove to about a mile below Leavick without problem Saturday. Keep an eye out for a Garmin GPS unit that I may have dropped when loading the car. Have fun n b safe.
If life is like a mountain, it can be a lot of fun on the way down.

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Oldman wrote:I was up there on Saturday last. I did the South Slopes Route. Saw others on the Ridge. Could have booted the whole way. The higher up, the more bullet proof the snow was. Snow varied from bullet proof, to breakable crust to shallow pockets of powder. Challenging skiing. On the way up, I even once thought about the crampons I left back in the car when I had some difficulty kicking through. I drove to about a mile below Leavick without problem Saturday. Keep an eye out for a Garmin GPS unit that I may have dropped when loading the car. Have fun n b safe.

You may have seen kansas and I higher up on the South Slopes route. We saw you lower down as we were piecing through the tricky rock section. The skiing was challenging, and I did wish I had ski crampons in a few places on the skin up. I'll have a TR up tomorrow with some photos on Tuesday.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Rastaman566 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I went up today with a friend and we were able to get my Honda Element within a mile of Leavick. We both booted up and had very little problems with that. My friend turned back at 13,000 ft because of an ongoing knee issue, but I summitted in 4 hours and did the round trip in 6 hours.

I had an incident at the top that still has me shaking. As I was coming back down the saddle from summit I chose to glissade down the main false summit seen from the south-east. As I was glissading I caught some of those patches of "bullet proof snow" as it has been called. Luckily, I arrested my slide and slowly made my way down with each cautious heal plant. What I should have done is traverse across so that I wasn't directly above a field of rocks. I ended up losing my heal placement again, and as I began to fall I frantically tried to dig my heals. The pitch was so great that there was nothing I could do, and I started my free-fall towards the rock field below. About 20 yards in front of the rocks there was a snow ledge, and as I hit and flew off the ledge I landed in powder that had been shielded by the ledge. Amazingly, this powder absorbed the potential energy that I had accumulated on my free-fall, and arrested me just before the rocks. I can't imagine the shape I would have been in if I hadn't stopped. Once I got back down to the trail, I looked up to see my glissade line coming straight from the false summit, followed my no lines at all for 50 yards where I had free-fallen, then one last dent where my impact was. I chose that line in order to save some time so I could meet up with my waiting friend who bailed early. It was obviously a stupid mistake that I won't make again, because next time I won't be so lucky.

Postby kushrocks » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Damn dude thats crazy. I will make sure not to do that. Glad your in one piece and thanks for the info.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby tmathews » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Rastaman566 wrote:I went up today with a friend and we were able to get my Honda Element within a mile of Leavick. We both booted up and had very little problems with that. My friend turned back at 13,000 ft because of an ongoing knee issue, but I summitted in 4 hours and did the round trip in 6 hours.

I had an incident at the top that still has me shaking.

Scary! Glad you're okay!

Postby Oldman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 am

Bergsteigen-

"You may have seen kansas and I higher up on the South Slopes route. We saw you lower down as we were piecing through the tricky rock section."

I may have a nice picture of the two of you silhouetted against the White Ridge. I will check when I get home tonight and post it if your interested.

Rastaman-
That sounds like Yee haw! moment. Remember the last thing Bubba said before he died, "Watch this."
Experience in the mountains is frequently those events that we survive. That's a good one to pass on.
Thanks for sharing it.
If life is like a mountain, it can be a lot of fun on the way down.

Postby MarkLesiw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 pm