Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snow shoeing/ alpine trek first and second weekend in April

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Snow shoeing/ alpine trek first and second weekend in April

Postby hipigrl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:09 am

Howdy gang.
Per St Mary's how about we meet at TH on Sunday am at 07:30? I am wondering if this gives ample time - we are now on DST so thinking we have a bit of wiggle room....
Please let me know what you think.
Also FYI looking at Quandary the following Saturday for anyone interested.
Curious if you all who are going to join are adept with tieing in on alpine ropes, self arrest etc....
Melissa

Postby gonzalj » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am

Yeah, I can meet you all at the trailhead at 7:30. In terms of quandary the following weekend, I'm going to be up in Aspen, so can't make it. As far as alpine ropes go, I don't think we'll even need them, based on what I know this hike is a straight forward class 1 or class 2 and basically all that will be needed will be snowshoes and trekking poles.

Postby summers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

I might be interested in joining you all on Sunday. I am planning Flora/Eva/Parry/Bancroft on Friday (whether I get them all will depend on conditions), so I will have to see exactly how sore my legs are after that trek. But at this point, count me as a definite maybe.

Did anyone decide to carpool from Denver, or is everyone driving separately?

Darrell

Postby gonzalj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Darrell,

Well, so far Melissa and I are going to be riding together. I live in Littleton close by to Chatfield Reservoir and she is staying in the western part of the metro area close to me, so if you want to meet up somewhere you can either PM me or email me at jorge@g3investing.com. I'm planning on picking her up at 6:30 to be at the trail by 7:30.

Jorge

Postby Jeff_F » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:30 pm

I live in Broomfield and am close to the Dino lots for meet up. I'm sure any passenger car can make it to the TH and I have an Accord, which could fit quite easily 4 plus gear; large enough trunk.

I did Quandry Memorial Day weekend some few years ago and it was just a gentle'ish snow slog the entire way. May want to bring ice axe to glissade more freely and safely, but no ropes needed, unless you go technical routes of course.

I was hoping the Mt. Ema/Flora/etc. would pan out for the following weekend since I've already done Quandry, but can't influence you not to do Quandry.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir

Postby big_red_pride » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:47 am

I live in Parker, I was planning on driving solo, but if I can car pool with someone I would be willing. Jeff what time were you planning on leaving?

-Steve

Postby Jeff_F » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 am

I'm thinking I'd leave between 6 and 630. Since I can get to Loveland resort in an hour it can most certainly take less than that to Idaho Spgs. I also don't want to get trapped in any ski traffic.
- - John Muir

Postby big_red_pride » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 am

Hey Jeff,

I decided I'm going to drive solo. I will see you all at the TH on Sunday...hopefully the weather forecast will look better than it does now. :)

Postby CDR242 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 am

Anyone interested in Mt Sherman on Saturday April 2nd?

Postby Jeff_F » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Has anyone come to a consensus of the gear we'll need? Do you think we should bring along snow shoes or will we have enough hard pack? Or, will it be warm enough post holing could be a concern?

Gotcha big red... cya at the TH.
- - John Muir

Postby hipigrl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm

It may be overkill but I am bringing snowshoes, ice axe, poles, crampons as well as helmet and alpine rope....

Postby gonzalj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Well, I'm definitely bringing my snowshoes as the moutains have been getting a good amount of snow this week. Other than that, I'm bringing my beacon, probe pole & shovel (but not crampons or ice axe) as those or more for technical ice climbing and we definitely won't be doing any of that on this hike.

PreviousNext