Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snow shoeing/ alpine trek first and second weekend in April

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Snow shoeing/ alpine trek first and second weekend in April

Postby hipigrl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 am

Hey Big Red - thanks for the idea....would like to bag a 14er if possible....any thoughts on Mt Evans? Not sure if it is accessible...not to other ideas however. Melissa

Postby gonzalj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Just a fyi on Mt. Evans - I've gone snowshoeing up there a couple of times in the last month (although haven't gone all the way to the summit or for that fact even summit lake), but the road is open all the way to echo lake. It would be an extremely long snowshoe all the way to the summit, but if you want a shorter snowshoe there's numerous trails up there by echo lake and they are very beautiful.

Postby hipigrl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks Jorge. Any 14ers in the same area not a far reach for a day trip? Again not averse to doing the 13ers suggested...just weighing the options. Melissa

Postby gonzalj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Melissa,

The closest ones would be Grays & Torreys - Quandary in Breck and the Decalibron in Alma just south of Breck aren't that far either, but would probably be an hour to hour and a half away from Idaho Springs. I'm not 100% sure what the road/snow conditions to get up to the Grays & Torreys trailhead are like as it is a dirt road and you have to drive about 6 miles from I-70 to get to the trailhead (you would at least want a SUV or some 4WD vehicle with decent clearance), but maybe someone else has a better idea.

Postby Jeff_F » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Someone posted on the road conditions up to Grays/Torreys. I think they said it adds 3 miles to the trip; can't remember. I think it was in the conditions section.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir

Postby hipigrl » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Hey BIg Red!
Colorado Mines Peak-Mt. Eva-Mt. Flora seems to be a good suggestion. Let's make it a go! Looking forward to it. Just bought a pair of Grivel 12 points with my REI dividends so maybe I will get a chance to use 'em!
Cheers - Melissa

Postby big_red_pride » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Hey Melissa that sounds good. If you really want to do a 14er we can. We still have some time to decide.
Steve

Postby hipigrl » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey Steve.
It would be way cool to bag a 14er if we can find one suitable for a day trek that's not too far from Denver. You got any ideas? Anyone else? Suppose Torrey's could be worth a little more investigation....
Melissa

Postby big_red_pride » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Hey Melissa I would like to give Quandary another try...went for it yesterday and turned around. The is near Breckenridge...let me know what you think.
Steve

Postby hipigrl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey Steve.
Looks like a great possibility. Which route were you considering? There appear to be two snow routes one two and one seven miles...Naturally I would lean towards the longer one... :D Just curious how come you turned around? WX???

Postby Jeff_F » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Hey all, just checking in to see when you guys wanted to make meet up plans, etc. for the James Peak trip.

Cheers,
Jeff
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir

Postby gonzalj » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 am

Hey everyone,

I was wondering the same thing. Do we all just want to meet at the parking lot for St. Mary's glacier (my buddy told me that parking does cost $5) at a specific time or do we want to meet in the Denver metro area somewhere and carpool?

Jorge

PreviousNext