Forum

Little Bear (Take 2)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Little Bear (Take 2)

Postby JohnWilliams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:41 am

NICE! Great work, way to knock it down!
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 am

Congratulations Terry, Kiefer, Steph, Britt, et al. Sounds like it took superhuman effort. I hope that somebody writes up a report.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:54 am

Congrats to ALL! Can't wait to see the TR.

Especially since I'd like to get there for some ski descents. I assume LB isn't filled in but would like to see Blanca/Elli if someone has a shot

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:59 am

Greenhouseguy wrote:Congratulations Terry, Kiefer, Steph, Britt, et al. Sounds like it took superhuman effort. I hope that somebody writes up a report.

+1

Can't wait to see photos of conditions on the traverse.

The beauty of that place is simply astounding.

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Congrats to ALL! Can't wait to see the TR.

Especially since I'd like to get there for some ski descents. I assume LB isn't filled in but would like to see Blanca/Elli if someone has a shot

Here's what the hourglass and areas below looked like. Jaaron (Manky) skied Ellingwood yesterday, btw. He said snow conditions were poor....
Attachments
hourglass_lbwinter01.jpg
Hourglass snow
hourglass_lbwinter01.jpg (261.32 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

Postby Johnson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:09 am

tmathews wrote:Pretty much sums up how we all felt near the end of the day. I don't know why I choose to torture myself with this route; it's the second time I've done it in the last year.

I went for a run along Fort Lauderdale Beach yesterday. I must be sick because about the entire time all I could think about was climbing....specifically Kelso ridge and Longs North Face. How can you put it into words?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks, Terry!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 am

bjohnson17 wrote:
tmathews wrote:Pretty much sums up how we all felt near the end of the day. I don't know why I choose to torture myself with this route; it's the second time I've done it in the last year.

I went for a run along Fort Lauderdale Beach yesterday. I must be sick because about the entire time all I could think about was climbing....specifically Kelso ridge and Longs North Face. How can you put it into words?

Barry, the the beach is definitely the greener pastures! We were supposed to be on Longs NF today for a second attempt - partners went up last night, barely made the TH in the new snow. I'm all packed, ready to go, up at 3 am, they call at 3:30, it's still coming down hard, we call it off... All of us stay up another two hours wondering if we should go for it anyway. : (

Fly me to the beach. I'm ready! 8)

(Will trade crampons and axe for little umbrella drinks and hot bikinis... : )

Postby greenwok » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:58 am

Nice! Love the early photos - beautiful! Will we see this route posted under "Routes" anytime soon? Congrats all! 8)
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Postby globreal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:18 pm

This route has got to be one of the most stellar, awe-inspiring ridges to a fourteener summit in the state. However, it certainly has it's challenges. I am going to try to get a trip report up in the next few days.

Terry....after this killer day, how can you have stayed up till 2:20am posting? When I got home, I had no energy to shower, eat, drink or anything....just collapse into bed!!
According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
1 Peter 1:3-4

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

tmathews wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Congrats to ALL! Can't wait to see the TR.

Here's what the hourglass and areas below looked like. Jaaron (Manky) skied Ellingwood yesterday, btw. He said snow conditions were poor....

Wow, loving the look of that ski line top-to-bottom down to Little Bear Lake. The challenge would be getting out from there...

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

globreal wrote:Terry....after this killer day, how can you have stayed up till 2:20am posting? When I got home, I had no energy to shower, eat, drink or anything....just collapse into bed!!

I showered and tried to eat, but my stomach was upset from drinking that Spike and Red Bull to get us home. I also had weird cramping in the arches of my feet. Don't know what that's about. You should post that photo you took of me on the knife edge, Britt. :wink:

PreviousNext