Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs via Trough Saturday Mar. 12

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Longs via Trough Saturday Mar. 12

Postby JohnWilliams » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi folks!
A friend and I are heading up Glacier Gorge for a shot at the Trough this Saturday. We had to cancel a trip back in November and want another chance to get it. We'll be at the Glacier Gorge TH around 3:30-4:00 am Saturday morning, if anybody is interested in joining.

BTW, if anybody with technical experiance wants to try the SW ridge route (5.4) we could carry some gear up for that variation. The SW Ridge starts just before the chockstone at the top of the Trough. If it's warm enough rock shoes may be useful, the ridge is usually snow free, as in the enclosed photo.

John
Attachments
IMG_0303.jpg
SW Ridge from Trough
IMG_0303.jpg (198.17 KiB) Viewed 875 times
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Re: Longs via Trough Saturday Mar. 12

Postby Beachrodney » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Im in as a definite maybe! Im going to be in Salida on friday and was thinking something down there but I want this one! I might try to drive straight to the trailhead from Salida and crash there. The granite on that ridge looks nice and knobby and tacky \:D/ and if I think Ill have something left in the tank by then Id be down for it too. PM me with any developments. :D

Postby JohnWilliams » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Just for anybody interested, but we'll be at the Glacier Gorge TH at 4 am Saturday.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby TomPierce » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:25 pm

John: Let me know if you try that west face route. I'm going up the Trough in May, and will most likely try at least one west face route this spring/summer/fall. I too want to finish my Longs grid this year. I believe I will set a world record in doing so...slowest grid completion, at just about 20 years! :lol: Have fun, be safe.
-Tom

Postby Bean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 pm

For those of you going, a good photo of the homestretch (and anything else) showing snow coverage would be greatly appreciated.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Beachrodney » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 pm

John, its lookin like Im going to be stuck in Salida until Sat, Ill be a the TH if something changes, if not you guys be safe. Ill get this one eventually!