Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ellingwood again, 3/12

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Ellingwood again, 3/12

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Looks like there may be a decent weather window on Saturday, so I'm looking to hike in an have another go at Ellingwood as a day trip. I'm considering attempting a variation on the southwest ridge route if conditions look favorable. I just spoke to Jim (dancesatmoonrise) and he is a "maybe", but I'd like to possibly have another person or two carpool down with me so we can split gas. I'm hoping to leave the Springs at 2:00 AM for a 5:00 start on the road. Anyone interested?

Re: Ellingwood again, 3/12

Postby trailsntales » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi
I was thinking of the Sangre De Cristos (or Columbia) this weekend too. I may be interested. I'm also in Colorado Springs.
I saw your last trip report, nice. Why do you want to change your route? I'm reasonably experienced--over 30 summits, and outfitted for winter. Send me a PM if you like.

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

trailsntales wrote:Hi
I was thinking of the Sangre De Cristos (or Columbia) this weekend too. I may be interested. I'm also in Colorado Springs.
I saw your last trip report, nice. Why do you want to change your route? I'm reasonably experienced--over 30 summits, and outfitted for winter. Send me a PM if you like.

There was a point on the trail where we were probably only about 150-200 feet from the northwest ridge. It would have been relatively easy to gain the ridge (which was wind-scoured) and attempt the summit from there. I'm not opposed to trying the standard route; we'll have to make a determination of the snow conditions and gauge the avalanche danger when we're up there.

Postby d_baker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

tmathews wrote:I'm considering attempting a variation on the southwest ridge route if conditions look favorable.

Could be spicy.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4270&parmuser=lordhelmut&start=25&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Sorry, this is off. I just got laid-off. Again.

Postby Kiefer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Terry!
sry to hear what happened bud, but this means you can join Steph and I ALL WEEK in the Sangres!!! Don't worry about funds. It's all taken care of.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Terry, I am so sorry to hear this news.

Kiefer, you're a good man.

Postby maverick_manley » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Kiefer wrote:Terry!
sry to hear what happened bud, but this means you can join Steph and I ALL WEEK in the Sangres!!! Don't worry about funds. It's all taken care of.

I can also chip in if it helps. I'd like to get up Blanca. Will any of you be attempting anything in that area on Saturday?
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 am

Kiefer wrote:Terry!

Sorry if I seemed a little rushed earlier. I was actually expecting someone else to call. Gotta couple of questions, so give me a ring later today.

Thanks, Kiefer.

Postby globreal » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 am

Terry,

Kiefer told me about your job situation. I so sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you there.

Hope you can join Kiefer and Steph and get out this next week and enjoy the time off!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby trailsntales » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Terry, sorry about the news. Sounds like you can still join Keifer though.
Maybe we can join up again on another some day. Thanks for the open invite.

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks. I don't know if it's going to happen, though. I had three interviews today and have another three scheduled tomorrow. I would like to get down there somehow to do a day trip with Kiefer and Steph, but logistically I don't know if I'd have the means to get there and back.

Next