Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Where will the Spring Gathering occur?

Blank Cabin - Mt. Shavano. Routes- Standard or Angel of Shavano Couloir.
9%
North Halfmoon - Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, 13ers in the area.
3%
Winfield - Various 13ers and 14ers in the area; Refrigerator Couloir on Ice Mtn. if it's in, Hopeful Couloir on Mt. Hope from Sheep Gulch TH.
62%
Kite Lake - Mt. Buckskin, DeCaLiBron. (Fee area)
3%
Willow Lake - Challenger/Kit Carson. Routes - Kirk Couloir, OB Couloir, Challenger north face.
23%

Total votes : 74

Re: Spring Gathering

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:05 am

Dan - it was a pleasure meeting you in Horn Fork Basin this weekend. For the Spring Gathering, I was planning on Missouri Mountain's North Face Couloirs and Mt. Hope's Hopeful Couloir, if conditions are right.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby dmccool » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:09 am

Great call. I'd love to hit those Couloirs, too. Weather permitting, it sounds like a plan. Great meeting you, too (and Sailor Jerry!)
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby SpringsHiker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:23 pm

In the Winfield area I have climbed all of the 14ers so I my first interest is going to be other peaks and I am really open as to which ones. I thought I would ask, among those planning to attend, what other peaks have solid interest?
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby d_baker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm interested in the N couloirs on Missouri.
However, Sayres BM via X-rated couloir will probably be the main goal for weekend. My friend Carson has 5 left on his bicentennial list, and that's one of them.
I would do back to back days of climbing though, so I can hang at the gathering.

-Darin

Postby Gueza » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Count me in for a ski of Missouri's North face.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby big_red_pride » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

I would be game for hiking up Mt. Hope. I know that Apostle/Ice are also back in there, as long as they wouldn't require anything more than micro spikes to hike up them I would be game for that combo.

-Steve

Postby d_baker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:07 pm

big_red_pride wrote:I know that Apostle/Ice are also back in there, as long as they wouldn't require anything more than micro spikes to hike up them I would be game for that combo.

They would require an ice axe at the least I would venture to guess. Crampons could be nice too, depending on snow conditions. Ice is not a walk-up. Expect snowy class 3/4 terrain if going the NE ridge. Then there's the approach just getting to them, which can be problematic at that time of year.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 pm

d_baker wrote:
big_red_pride wrote:I know that Apostle/Ice are also back in there, as long as they wouldn't require anything more than micro spikes to hike up them I would be game for that combo.

They would require an ice axe at the least I would venture to guess. Crampons could be nice too, depending on snow conditions. Ice is not a walk-up. Expect snowy class 3/4 terrain if going the NE ridge. Then there's the approach just getting to them, which can be problematic at that time of year.

I've been up in that area around July 4th and they still hold significant snow even then since the route faces north. In early May that side will be holding a lot of snow. I'd suspect ice axe and crampons would be required to even get to the Ice - North Apostle saddle. Ice itself would be very interesting. I can't recall ever seeing a report on either that early in the season. Even the approach would be difficult at that time.

This one is from the first week of June and you see even a month later how much snow is up there.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6065&parmpeak=Ice+Mtn&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Postby big_red_pride » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks guys for the reponse, it looks like Mt. Hope would be my choice to hike for the gathering. I'm planning on getting Belford/Oxford/Missouri another time later in the summer. So if anyone would like to hike Mt. Hope (I don't ski) then we can meet up and go for it.

Postby gonzalj » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:52 am

I could be up for doing Mt. Hope as well.

Postby SpringsHiker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am

Mt. Hope would be fine with me as well. I also would be fine with Sayres BM.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby RockyRoad » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Forgive me if it is hidden in this thread, but what are the decided dates for the gathering? I remember seeing another thread which had dates people were voting on. Definitely something I'm interested in... just depends when.

EDIT: Looks like May 7th is listed for this event. Hmm... One problem I can see is that I don't have any alpine gear beyond Microspikes. Does anyone know if REI rents ice axes?
Last edited by RockyRoad on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." -William Blake

PreviousNext