Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Where will the Spring Gathering occur?

Blank Cabin - Mt. Shavano. Routes- Standard or Angel of Shavano Couloir.
9%
North Halfmoon - Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, 13ers in the area.
3%
Winfield - Various 13ers and 14ers in the area; Refrigerator Couloir on Ice Mtn. if it's in, Hopeful Couloir on Mt. Hope from Sheep Gulch TH.
62%
Kite Lake - Mt. Buckskin, DeCaLiBron. (Fee area)
3%
Willow Lake - Challenger/Kit Carson. Routes - Kirk Couloir, OB Couloir, Challenger north face.
23%

Total votes : 74

Spring Gathering

Postby KeithK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:58 pm

The date has been chosen as May 7. Now, it's just a matter of location. Location. Location. Trailhead accessiblity may not be guaranteed depending on snow totals and other factors, such as avalanche runout blocking roads. Vote for your choice, and we'll see you there!

For those that might be unfamiliar, this is simply an excuse for a bunch of people to get together and climb a mountain somewhere. You may arrive on Friday and camp, or set up carpools for early Saturday morning. We'll plan on meeting/hiking at 7 a.m. or so, depending on the route(s) chosen. Typically, it's fun to either hang out at a trailhead or meet for dinner somewhere afterward. More details can be worked out as the date gets closer. Like on May 5.

Breakdown of choices:

Blank Cabin - Fairly limited to the Angel or standard route on Mt. Shavano, but there are ranked 13ers in the area. Tabeguache in May is a very long day.

North Halfmoon - Northeast ridge on Mt. Elbert, East Slopes on Mt. Massive, Mt. Oklahoma and other 13ers further west, but more difficult in May.

Winfield - All of the area 14ers, including Missouri Mtn.'s north facing couloirs. Also Mt. Hope and the Hopeful Couloir, and the Three Apostles, with the Refrigerator Couloir. Several other 13ers around as well.

Kite Lake - Mt. Buckskin as well as the area 14ers. The best choice for novices with little to no snow experience.

Willow Lake - A 5 mile backpack to Willow Lake, and much more challenging routes than the other options (with exception of the Refrigerator). NO easy routes in May, definitely a more advanced option.
Last edited by KeithK on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snow is dumb.™

Re: Spring Gathering

Postby tmathews » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Willow Lake would be AWESOME. Let's see how Crestone welcomes a bunch of 14ers.com folks. :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

All kidding aside, the location would offer a lot of challenging routes for a variety of skill levels.

Postby BAUMGARA » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: May 7th for OB Couloir, might be a little early if conditions are similar to last year. Bata from last year, May 23rd, 2010.
-Hike in was dry until we got above the bluff, i.e. final approach to the lake.
-Camped just below Willow Lake, tough to find a dry spot.
-Approach to OB was straight forward, no problem.
-OB was in perfect condition.
-The back side was mixed.
My opinion, I wouldn't attempt OB in early May.

Postby RockyRoad » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Blank Cabin/Mt. Shavano area would be great I think! Others seem good except for Kite Lake... not too interested in that.
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." -William Blake

Postby EatinHardtack » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I wouldn't mind doing Mt. Hope and that area has a ton of spaces to camp and party afterwards. Shav/Tab wouldn't be bad either.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby crossfitter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Refrigerator couloir looks awesome, but the giant warnings about rockfall on mountainproject makes this one seem ill-advised for a big group. Willow lakes would be sweet but would we camp in the parking lot or at the lake? If the latter, this makes beverage availability obviously more difficult. What happened to the Missouri group option?
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:08 am

crossfitter wrote:Refrigerator couloir looks awesome, but the giant warnings about rockfall on mountainproject makes this one seem ill-advised for a big group. Willow lakes would be sweet but would we camp in the parking lot or at the lake? If the latter, this makes beverage availability obviously more difficult. What happened to the Missouri group option?

I suspect there's some cognitive bias going on with regards to the Fridge's reputation for rockfall - I just don't know whose bias it is. Certainly Roach related his story, and I've seen references to another incident or two, but I've also heard of many climbs where the topic of rockfall never comes up at all - and experienced several as well where there was not even the slightest hint of rockfall (either during our climb or recently leading up to that time). (Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here, as I do plan to go back this spring.)

So the question is: is the cognitive bias mine, or other peoples'? :mrgreen:

But there's a better reason than rockfall for not being gung-ho on the Fridge during the Gathering. In early May you're almost certain to be starting from Winfield and not the upper 4WD trailhead, which will make for a very long and arduous approach through unconsolidated snow with route-finding that is difficult in the dark (the approach has sunk more than one party's plans to climb the Fridge over the years). I'm not saying it can't be done - but IMO Ice is much more enjoyable as a two-day climb with a camp near treeline... and there's been other loose talk of a group trip for Ice this spring.

Postby hollamby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 am

tmathews wrote:Willow Lake would be AWESOME. Let's see how Crestone welcomes a bunch of 14ers.com folks. :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

All kidding aside, the location would offer a lot of challenging routes for a variety of skill levels.

Willow Lake is one of my favorite areas. Simply awesome up there, lots of options too.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby KeithK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 am

crossfitter wrote:Refrigerator couloir looks awesome, but the giant warnings about rockfall on mountainproject makes this one seem ill-advised for a big group. Willow lakes would be sweet but would we camp in the parking lot or at the lake? If the latter, this makes beverage availability obviously more difficult. What happened to the Missouri group option?

Winfield is the Missouri Group option. You guys wanted snow climbing choices, so I gave the best I could come up with. Very few people would attempt the Refrigerator, I see no chance of having "too many" on that route at one time.

As for Willow Lake, it's a majority vote that determines the location. Personally, I won't be attending if that one is chosen, it's far too long and difficult for my liking, requiring a backpack overnighter into the lake.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby d_baker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:31 am

I voted for the Winfield area, mostly due to easier logistics/access/ease of climbs for all/etc.
I don't think the Willow Lake plan fits the bill for the aforementioned reasons.

If more experienced (snow climbing) people are in for it, cool. But to the novice snow climber, I think it could be spicey.
The Avenue could be quite the show for most novices, even for experienced folks it could raise the pucker factor. Not that I've done it in snow conditions, but I've read about it. However I realize the couloirs could be down-climbed as well, if conditions were good/safe to do so.

my pennies for the cause.

Postby SenadR » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 am

my vote to Winfield area

Postby kansas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 am

d_baker wrote:I voted for the Winfield area, mostly due to easier logistics/access/ease of climbs for all/etc.
I don't think the Willow Lake plan fits the bill for the aforementioned reasons.

My thoughts exactly, Darin. For me, the gatherings are about getting to know other climbers on the site and having a good time. Ease of logistics/options will allow more people to join in the festivities. Sure, I would love to have some options that make me pucker and I'm not a huge fan of the Sawatch, but the gathering isn't about my personal wants or goals. Whatever is best for the masses is best for me.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Next