Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any Cheyenne residents?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Any Cheyenne residents?

Postby gatornation » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:02 pm

This isn't specifically a climbing question, but I don't see an appropriate section on the forum. I'm thinking about moving to Cheyenne for work, and I was wondering, generally, about the culture of the city. The size doesn't bother me; I think I would actually prefer it. My main concern is with finding a social life. I'm in my mid-20s, I'm single, and I've never been particularly in to hunting. Is there an active hiking and climbing community in the city? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: Any Cheyenne residents?

Postby fletchersteel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 pm

I just moved here last september for a new job. If you like bars and the normal bar crowd, cheyenne is great; but if you'd like any sorta of social life, it's lacking. We are going to be moving to Fort Collins come fall, much better town, and I find that I am always down there doing things instead of up here. The weather in Cheyenne stinks too, wind always blows... Why cheyenne? It is a small, small city, meaning you can get all your amentities here, but there is very little outdoor activities, you pretty much have to drive somewhere else just to go for a hike or bike ride. We came up here from Colorado Springs, and we truly miss it, alot!
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby dpage » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:22 pm

I live in Ft Collins but work in Cheyenne. Other than rising gas prices lately, the commute isn't bad. Coming from a town of 150,000, I find Cheyenne a bit small at 50,000 and enjoy what ft Collins has to offer. But if you like rodeo...

Postby gatornation » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the opinions. I was just about to ask about the commute from Ft Collins. How often does winter weather prevent travel up I-25, and how predictable will it be? I'm going to be working in a profession in which missing a day of work without expecting it could cause significant problems.

Postby Johnson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 pm

gatornation wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the opinions. I was just about to ask about the commute from Ft Collins. How often does winter weather prevent travel up I-25, and how predictable will it be? I'm going to be working in a profession in which missing a day of work without expecting it could cause significant problems.

Not sure about exact numbers but I think it is infrequent. I believe 287 north between FC and Laramie is bad frequently and the stretch from Cheyenne westbound is rough but that is a moot point for you. With a good vehicle you should do fine.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene