Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ellingwood Point, 2/26

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Ellingwood Point, 2/26

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 am

Nice pictures Anna...I think those lines on Ellingwood Pt need my attention this spring. :)

Postby Jesse Peterson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 am

Love the pictures Anna, thanks for posting. Looks like a great day despite not summiting.

That striking couloir off the ridge to looker's left of EP's summit-- is it named? Has it been skied? Looks very fun..
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby Johnson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:21 am

d_baker wrote:Nice pictures Anna...I think those lines on Ellingwood Pt need my attention this spring. :)

Mine too!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby tmathews » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:39 am

Ugh, post-hike hangover. I didn't get to sleep until 1:00 this morning, so 24 hours awake, 12 hours on the trail. Here's some video.

Postby Kiefer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 pm

anna wrote:Kiefer, major thanks for the track you laid in on Friday! Unfortunately, our luck and weather wasn't too good either. No summit. We (Terry, Rob, and I) were fairly close to the saddle, but encountered very dangerous snow on a 37 degree incline - a recipe for disaster. We turned around, then reassessed routes a little ways down while the winds were in a lull and the sun was trying to make an appearance. Eventually, we got the sunshine, but the winds looked brutal at the top and on the ridge.

Photos from yesterday:
https://picasaweb.google.com/huamele/2272011EllingwoodAttempt?authkey=Gv1sRgCLaGm8va5Y_aTg&feat=directlink

Yah, no problem!
I plan on heading back up there next week (probably Wednesday) for another attempt on Little Bear or possibly Ellingwood. That drainage needs time to settle.
We encountered thigh deep powder (postholing) on 40˚ terrain heading up the west gully on LB. Oddly though, it was very stable: no shooting, cracks or whoomps. I'm still scratching my head on that one. :-s The traverse in all honesty was a bit spooky and uncomfortable.

Ya guys made a good decision in turning around. Want to take another shot next week?

Here's a few pics of our little adventure.
Sublime but mean weather over the massif!

Jaw825 (Jacob) on the West Ridge

Early in the morning.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Moboy56 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Nice pic, that wind was ripping up high. i would have loved to have tried it but 12 hours on the trail might be too much for me. were you going to ascend one of the couloirs?
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London

Postby tmathews » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Moboy56 wrote:Nice pic, that wind was ripping up high. i would have loved to have tried it but 12 hours on the trail might be too much for me. were you going to ascend one of the couloirs?

No. The standard route was our goal. We stood underneath the SW ridge and contemplated going up it for about 40 minutes waiting for the weather to clear up, but it never did. Lots of clear skies to the west of us, but clouds kept forming as soon as the air pushed up against the massif. It was actually pretty interesting to watch. After we got back down to the shelter, the skies opened up, but wind continued to be an issue.

Edit: Oops. Are you addressing Kiefer? The couloir on Ellingwood looked nice, but I doubt it was consolidated-enough to ascend.

Postby Moboy56 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 pm

i was just asking whoever, no one in particular. i was wondering about the couloir since that is the type of climbing i intend to do in the future. i didn't think it would be in shape this time of year but i'm always looking for knowledge from the 'field'. we climbed last year on May 11th on and got turned back by the 'lost rat', i'm guessing the couloirs don't come into good shape until early june? i know there is no hard fast date and many varibles. your thoughts?
dw
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 am

Kiefer wrote:I plan on heading back up there next week (probably Wednesday) for another attempt on Little Bear or possibly Ellingwood.

Kiefer, did you make it back up this week? If so, I'm wondering how conditions look.

Thanks!

Previous