Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ellingwood Point, 2/26

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Ellingwood Point, 2/26

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 am

I'm looking for a partner or two (or more) for this Saturday. I'm thinking of making a bid for Ellingwood Point. It'll be a long day and I'd like to leave the TH around 5:00 (hopefully, the road will be drivable for a mile or more). Because of the distance it's a very real possibility that I won't make the summit, but it will be a nice, lengthy hike and I've wanted to see Ellingwood, Blanca, and Little Bear in the winter from up there for a long time so I'll be happy to get out, at least.

Anyone interested?

Re: Ellingwood Point, 2/26

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 pm

The weather down there is looking pretty decent through the week (even the wind is relatively calm). It looks like it'll just be pretty cold up high.

Unfortunately, there's no way of assessing avy danger in the Sangres beforehand because the CAIC doesn't forecast the zone, but any snow that was received last weekend should be pretty consolidated with the nice weather this week. Again, I'm cool with just hiking in to the Blue Lakes or maybe Crater Lake if avy conditions are discovered to be otherwise.

Let me know!

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:57 pm

If so, I think we should definitely carpool since we're both in the Springs (and gas prices jumped because of the political unrest going on in the Middle East and North Africa).

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm interested Terry. Don't have anything going on this weekend.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Cool, Zach. You thinking about taking skis?

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Yes I'll be on skis but if I don't feel that a descent is in order then I'll just hike it and ditch the skis. I'm not dead set on the summit either. I might help someone move on Saturday but I could get out of it.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 am

Terry, I'm a maybe - if Steve's finisher on Sunday gets re-rescheduled due to conditions.

If I go, I would be going for the summit. More than happy to take the front and put in the trench up out of Como.

Good to see you getting out so much this winter. Thanks for posting your trips.

Jim

Postby tmathews » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:01 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Terry, I'm a maybe - if Steve's finisher on Sunday gets re-rescheduled due to conditions.

If I go, I would be going for the summit. More than happy to take the front and put in the trench up out of Como.

Jim

Cool, Jim. LOL, I don't think I'll be able to keep-up with your pace. You and Mike (Mad Mike) should get together for some hikes/climbs. Both of you are animals on the trail! :wink:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:33 pm

tmathews wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Terry, I'm a maybe - if Steve's finisher on Sunday gets re-rescheduled due to conditions.

Jim

Cool, Jim. LOL, I don't think I'll be able to keep-up with your pace. You and Mike (Mad Mike) should get together for some hikes/climbs. Both of you are animals on the trail! :wink:

So, Terry, is LB on 2-25 off? Looks like Steve had to reschedule Evans, so that bumps me to 80/20 for EP. Is Mad Mike going?

Postby tmathews » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Yep. It was kind of a pipe dream for me, anyway. I wasn't able to get the day off (hence the plan-making for EP). It looks like we'll have a bit of a trench to work with on Saturday, though! :wink:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 pm

tmathews wrote:Yep. It was kind of a pipe dream for me, anyway. I wasn't able to get the day off (hence the plan-making for EP). It looks like we'll have a bit of a trench to work with on Saturday, though! :wink:

Seriously? When was the trench cut? If you know for sure a trench is in, that bumps me closer to 100%.

As you know, we missed Ellingwood for a winter ascent a few weeks ago, and one more Sangre puts me at half down for winter - which is quicly coming to a close. I'll still trench at the front, but if you know one is in, within the last couple of days, that makes a summit bid more probable for all of us.

As always, I appreciate the info. Thanks!

Postby Monster5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 pm

I think he's referring to Kiefer and Jaws' trench going in on Friday..?
"Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." - Walter Bonatti

Next